[comp.unix.sysv386] Dialup SLIP

roh@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Lucas Roh) (05/02/91)

Since I do not know whether I am ignorant or not, I would like to ask if
it is possible to dialup another Unix box and maintain a SLIP connection.

Thanks.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/03/91)

roh@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Lucas Roh) writes:

>Since I do not know whether I am ignorant or not, I would like to ask if
>it is possible to dialup another Unix box and maintain a SLIP connection.

yes - we do  this on a regular basis --

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May02.174220.6889@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>roh@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Lucas Roh) writes:
>

>>Since I do not know whether I am ignorant or not, I would like to ask if
>>it is possible to dialup another Unix box and maintain a SLIP connection.
>
>yes - we do  this on a regular basis --

How is this done?  You somehow initiate a dial, establish a connection,
and then you can do TCP/IP stuff?  like telnet, rlogin, ftp, etc?  What
hardware and software is required for this?  I don't think SLIP comes
with ESIX;  is it available elsewhere for a "reasonable" price?

--
bill@unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.214317.3788@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>I don't think SLIP comes with ESIX

Sure it does.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/05/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>How is this done?  You somehow initiate a dial, establish a connection,
>and then you can do TCP/IP stuff?  like telnet, rlogin, ftp, etc?  What
>hardware and software is required for this?  I don't think SLIP comes
>with ESIX;  is it available elsewhere for a "reasonable" price?

slip comes standard with Interactive TCP/IP and with Dell UNIX SVR4
as well.   utilities such as slattach and sldialup are used to dial
into a machine and initiate a SLIP connection enabling the use of
ftp, rlogin, telnet, etc - as well as nntp and smtp.

we have 4 dialup lines in Indianapolis and run SLIP via a leased line
to our box here in South Bend.

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
               {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!larry}

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/07/91)

To continue this thread (in, admittedly, the wrong newsgroup), I'm curious
about the use of SLIP over non-dedicated lines.  A local network services
company is planning to install some modems and sell Internet access via
SLIP dialups.  I might be interested in using his service, but he's not
particularly familiar with the technology and I don't want to get involved
with something inordinately complicated or limited in its use.

Suppose I want to do two things:  (1) poll a couple of systems regularly,
and be able to issue 'ftp' or 'rlogin' requests on demand, and (2) make
an archive directory available for anonymous login from outside our
company.  Can I do this in such a way as to utilize the phone line (which
costs money every hour it's used) only while a connection is active?
Each side would have to activate an auto-dialer when a connection request
comes in, if there aren't any existing connections.

Can I do this so as to allow non-SLIP users access to 'getty' login
sessions?  I'm working with a limited number of phone lines (2), and
want to do this under AIX but if SCO Unix can handle it better I might
use that instead.

-rich

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May3.214317.3788@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>How is this done?  You somehow initiate a dial, establish a connection,
>and then you can do TCP/IP stuff?  like telnet, rlogin, ftp, etc?  What
>hardware and software is required for this?  I don't think SLIP comes
>with ESIX;  is it available elsewhere for a "reasonable" price?

SLIP does come with Esix 3.2 Rev D and with Esix 4.0.3 Rev A. The 4.0
version is MUCH better than the 3.2 version. Also Intel published the source
for their SLIP for 4.0. Hardware required is a direct serial line or a modem.
We have tested our SLIP with Everex 2400 MNP modems and Telebits. Other modems
should also work.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May7.191913.1862@everex.uucp> jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:

>SLIP does come with Esix 3.2 Rev D and with Esix 4.0.3 Rev A. The 4.0
>version is MUCH better than the 3.2 version. Also Intel published the source
>for their SLIP for 4.0. Hardware required is a direct serial line or a modem.
>We have tested our SLIP with Everex 2400 MNP modems and Telebits. Other modems
>should also work.

Jeff,

Does the 4.0 SLIP require a dedicated serial port like the 3.2 version,
or can it share a port (using it only when needed)?

bill

--

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/12/91)

>>SLIP does come with Esix 3.2 Rev D and with Esix 4.0.3 Rev A. The 4.0
>>version is MUCH better than the 3.2 version. Also Intel published the source
>>for their SLIP for 4.0. Hardware required is a direct serial line or a modem.
>>We have tested our SLIP with Everex 2400 MNP modems and Telebits. Other modems
>>should also work.
> [...]
>Does the 4.0 SLIP require a dedicated serial port like the 3.2 version,
>or can it share a port (using it only when needed)?
> [...]

Better yet, what are its limitations?  Max number of connections, etc.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/12/91)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>Better yet, what are its limitations?  Max number of connections, etc.

ISC limits the number of connections to 1 at any one time -

on the other hand Dell SVR4 places the limit on 16 SLIP connections
at any one time

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
               {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!larry}

jeffs@netcom.COM (Jeff Saxton) (05/13/91)

PLEASE!! Does anyone have Dialout SLIP working for SCO 3.2.2??

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May9.231059.591@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Jeff,
>
>Does the 4.0 SLIP require a dedicated serial port like the 3.2 version,
>or can it share a port (using it only when needed)?

It shares any stream based asy port. The 4.0.3 slip also uses the uucp
Systems file for chat scripts for login to other systems. It is much better
thought out that our 3.2 version.

--

uri@watson.ibm.com (Uri Blumenthal) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May13.165255.23796@everex.uucp>, jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
|> >Does the 4.0 SLIP require a dedicated serial port like the 3.2 version,
|> >or can it share a port (using it only when needed)?
|>
|> It shares any stream based asy port. The 4.0.3 slip also uses the uucp
|> Systems file for chat scripts for login to other systems.

Can that stream based asy port be used for uucp? For cu? Any special
configuration fiddling?

The best would be - if I just could run something like "slconfig -detach",
or whatever, and the port would become free for cu, uucp, etc...  And of
course, when I need SLIP -  I want to be able to do smth like "slattach"
and be off with it...Does it provide such capabilities?

|> It is much better thought out that our 3.2 version.

It isn't too hard to be better than your 3.2 SLIP (:-).

--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal 	 uri@watson.ibm.com,  uunet!angmar!uri

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/16/91)

uri@watson.ibm.com (Uri Blumenthal) writes:

>The best would be - if I just could run something like "slconfig -detach",
>or whatever, and the port would become free for cu, uucp, etc...  And of
>course, when I need SLIP -  I want to be able to do smth like "slattach"
>and be off with it...Does it provide such capabilities?

that is how ISC's 2.21 works - the port can be shared with SLIP,
along with normal UUCP, shell and BBS users - but the problem with ISC
is that it only supports on SLIP connection at any given time -

On the other hand, we have Dell SVR4 here - and it supports up to
16 concurrent SLIP connections at any one time - but we haven't tried
it (as of yet).