[comp.unix.sysv386] AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 - Cry for installation help...

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) (05/14/91)

Ok here's the situation:
                ALR Business VEISA 486/33
                17 Mega Bytes Memory
                Western Digital MFM controller
                40 Mb Hard Disk 0
                32 Mb Hard Disk 1
                Monochrome display and card
                Archive VP402 Adapter Card
                Archive 60 Mb Tape Drive / Model 2060L???
                Nothing else, all serial/par ports taken out.

        Software:
                AT&T Unix System V Rel 4.0 (Ver 2.1)
                Cartridge Tape Boot Version (2 boot disk/tape, etc)

Problem:
        System boots from boot disks and prepares hard disk fine.
System then reboots off of the hard disks.  System asks if I want
to install from Tape or Floppy disk, I answer Tape bacause thats
all I have.  Well after that, the tape light comes on, nothing happens
, and the system then tells me to check my tape drive....

        Has anyone gotten AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 to load off of an Archive
tape drive?????  I followed the settings in the book (IRQ=5, DMA=1,
port = 288) and it doesn't work.  I talked to Archive and they said
to try port = 300, well on the address the tape light does not even
come on.  The Unix guru at Archive is out of the country till June.

        If anyone can help, Thanks in advance.....
BTW: Yes, I'm the one with the SCSI problem, trying to get something
to run, so I can rebuild the kernel......

        The saga continues...
---

Michael L. Gantz         | gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us
213 Napoleon Rd.         | osu-cis!bgsuvax!gantz!gantzm
Bowling Green, Oh 43402  | Mellon!  I had only to speak the Elvish word for
(419) 353-5029           | friend and the doors opened.  - J.R.R. Tolkien

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (05/15/91)

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:

>Problem:
>        System boots from boot disks and prepares hard disk fine.
>System then reboots off of the hard disks.  System asks if I want
>to install from Tape or Floppy disk, I answer Tape bacause thats
>all I have.  Well after that, the tape light comes on, nothing happens
>, and the system then tells me to check my tape drive....

I had the same problem with two different vendors...and it turned
out that when I used the floppy drive version from one vendor...it
worked just fine. Turns out that there needs to be some kernel support
for the tape drive you have...best tha I can figure anyway.

I'd suggest trying to get a copy of the floppy disk version of the
OS. I spent over a month and a half with this problem.

--
Dave Hayes - Network & Communications Engineering - JPL / NASA - Pasadena CA
dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov           ames!elroy!dxh

   "It is a dragon, destroyer of all," cried the ants.
                                   Then a cat caught the lizard.

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (05/15/91)

In article <6Pqw21w164w@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>Ok here's the situation:
>                ALR Business VEISA 486/33

Does AT&T V.4 support EISA?

-scott

dcon@cbnewsc.att.com (david.r.connet) (05/16/91)

In article <1195@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <6Pqw21w164w@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>>Ok here's the situation:
>>                ALR Business VEISA 486/33
>
>Does AT&T V.4 support EISA?
>
>-scott

Yes.  The AT&T StarServer E and StarServer S are both 486 EISA boxes
that run svr4.

Dave Connet
dcon@iwtng.att.com

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) (05/16/91)

In article <6Pqw21w164w@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>Ok here's the situation:
>                ALR Business VEISA 486/33
>                17 Mega Bytes Memory
>                Western Digital MFM controller
>                40 Mb Hard Disk 0
>                32 Mb Hard Disk 1
>                Monochrome display and card
>                Archive VP402 Adapter Card
>                Archive 60 Mb Tape Drive / Model 2060L???
>                Nothing else, all serial/par ports taken out.
>
>        Software:
>                AT&T Unix System V Rel 4.0 (Ver 2.1)
>                Cartridge Tape Boot Version (2 boot disk/tape, etc)
>
>Problem:
>        System boots from boot disks and prepares hard disk fine.
>System then reboots off of the hard disks.  System asks if I want
>to install from Tape or Floppy disk, I answer Tape bacause thats
>all I have.  Well after that, the tape light comes on, nothing happens
>, and the system then tells me to check my tape drive....
>
>        Has anyone gotten AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 to load off of an Archive
>tape drive?????  I followed the settings in the book (IRQ=5, DMA=1,
>port = 288) and it doesn't work.  I talked to Archive and they said
>to try port = 300, well on the address the tape light does not even
>come on.  The Unix guru at Archive is out of the country till June.

Not to cop out or coin a phase but ... "AT&T UNIX is only supported on AT&T
Hardware platforms".  I know this is a cop out but at least AT&T verifies
that all configurations of its hardware work together with it's software.

AT&T UNIX System V/x86 Release 4.0 Version 2.1 supports: 386, 486, ISA and EISA.

I see you have alot of plug in cards on your box.  Are any of these cards (besides
the Tape Drive) set at IRQ 5 DMA=1 I/O 288 -> 289?

The Archive Tape Drive is not really the one supported by AT&T.  I belive USL
supports it however.

If you could get a Wangtek Tape Drive and Controller that should work fine.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban

dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Dave Hayes) (05/17/91)

urban@cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

>If you could get a Wangtek Tape Drive and Controller that should work fine.

I wouldn't bet *too* much on this. I got one and failed the installation from
TWO separate vendors.
--
Dave Hayes - Network & Communications Engineering - JPL / NASA - Pasadena CA
dave@elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave@jato.jpl.nasa.gov           ames!elroy!dxh

   If your own vice happens to be the search for virtue,
                                  recognize that it is so.