[comp.unix.sysv386] VP/ix under 386/ix thinks console is monochrome

jeffn@icsep486.sccsi.com (Jeff Noxon) (05/08/91)

I'm running 386/ix 2.2 on a Micronics 486 and an Orchid Prodesigner II VGA
card with 1 MB of RAM on board.  X11 works fine in color at all resolutions
but for some reason my VP/ix thinks the system is monochrome now.

I've tried reinstalling the VP/ix and reinstalling the OS, and the problem
has not cleared up.

I've changed two things recently that may have caused the problem, but I can't
check:
        1) Changed BIOS from Phoenix 486 0.10 F6 to 0.10 F11
        2) Changed from ATI VGA-Wonder+ VGA card to the Orchid ProDesigner II

By the way, it's the ISA version of the Micronics 486.  The rest of my system
configuration (should it help in any way) is:

	1) Intel ACE-8 serial port card
	2) Adaptec AHA-1542B
	3) Generic Serial (2)/Parallel/Game card
	4) 3COM Etherlink II (?) 3C503 or something like that
	5) 16MB of RAM

The Workstation Developer package is completely installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please e-mail replies to the address
in my signature, as above addresses may not work.  I'll post a summary if I
get any helpful information.

Jeff

--
I can't be reached at the above address.
Use: jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com

leo@aai.com (05/10/91)

jeffn@icsep486.sccsi.com (Jeff Noxon) writes:

>I'm running 386/ix 2.2 on a Micronics 486 and an Orchid Prodesigner II VGA
>card with 1 MB of RAM on board.  X11 works fine in color at all resolutions
>but for some reason my VP/ix thinks the system is monochrome now.

>I've tried reinstalling the VP/ix and reinstalling the OS, and the problem
>has not cleared up.

Here's another for the FAQ!  Connor?

Try commenting out the EGAROM and VGAROM lines in your vpix/vpix.cnf file.
Then vpix will look at what the hardware actually is, allowing color use.
You might want to change it in /usr/vpix/defaults/vpix.cnf so new users
will get the right one, but it only gets copied to a user's account if one
doesn't already exist.
--
Leo	leo@aai.com   leo%aai@uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo

jon@hitachi.uucp (Jon Ryshpan) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May07.214428.10067@icsep486.sccsi.com> jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:
>I'm running 386/ix 2.2 on a Micronics 486 and an Orchid Prodesigner II VGA
>card with 1 MB of RAM on board.  X11 works fine in color at all resolutions
>but for some reason my VP/ix thinks the system is monochrome now.

I had *exactly* the same problem.  It's some disagreement between VP/ix
and the Prodesigner.  If you get another board (I've had good luck with
a Paradise board, a Paradise clone, and a Compaq built in VGA)
everything will probably work OK.  I have no idea what the trouble is.

Jonathan Ryshpan		<...!uunet!hitachi!jon>

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (05/17/91)

In article <691@hitachi.uucp> jon@hitachi.UUCP (Jon Ryshpan) writes:
 >In article <1991May07.214428.10067@icsep486.sccsi.com> jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:
 >>I'm running 386/ix 2.2 on a Micronics 486 and an Orchid Prodesigner II VGA
 >>card with 1 MB of RAM on board.  X11 works fine in color at all resolutions
 >>but for some reason my VP/ix thinks the system is monochrome now.
 >
 >I had *exactly* the same problem.  It's some disagreement between VP/ix
 >and the Prodesigner.  If you get another board (I've had good luck with
 >a Paradise board, a Paradise clone, and a Compaq built in VGA)
 >everything will probably work OK.  I have no idea what the trouble is.

NONONONONONO --- This is an olde problem with VP/ix -comment out the the romvga
and romega entries in the vpix configuration file (.cnf) and then VP/ix will use the orchi
bios rather than the built in VP/IX bios

tada --
As a followup anybody get ventura working under VP/IX and prodesigner board?
If so how...