[comp.unix.sysv386] Help with Epson FX86 & 3.2.2

heasley@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Jim Heasley) (05/19/91)

I'm encountering problems in setting up a printer on my Intel System V
version 3.2.2.  The printer is an Epson FX85, and it is connected via a
parallel line to lpt1.  It works just fine under DOS.  (I don't
believe it's a cable problem as I'm using the cable with drives my HP
Laserjet at my office under DOS, and that is a fussy beast regarding
having all the lines in the cable).  Under Unix, I
have

1) created the printer entry using

		/usr/lib/lpadmin -p epson -v /dev/lp

2) told it to accept jobs using

		/usr/lib/accept epson

3) enabled it using

		enable epson

4) defined it to be the default printer using

		/usr/lib/lpadmin -d epson

All of the above works with no apparent problems.  When I try printing
to the unit the output apparently queues, and nothing happens.  Using

		lpstat -p epson -l

shows

printer epson waiting for auto-retry. available.
	stopped with printer fault
	Form mounted:
	Content types: simple
	Printer type: unknown
	Connection: direct
	Interface: /usr/spool/lp/model/dumb
	On fault: no alert
	After fault: continue
	Users allowed:
		(all)
	Forms allowed:
		(none)
	Banner not required
	Character sets:
		(none)
	Default pitch:
	Default page size:
	Default port settings:

Can someone tell me what I've done wrong or what I may be missing?  Do I
need a terminfo entry for this printer and filter?  If so, can someone
provide them?

As this problem is probably more specific than generic please reply
directly via email.  If others indicate they're having similar problems
I'll post a summary to the newsgroup.

Thanks,

Jim Heasley
heasley@hoku.ifa.hawaii.edu

mikeh@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Michael Hoffos) (05/19/91)

In article <13103@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> heasley@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Jim Heasley) writes:
>		lpstat -p epson -l
>
>shows
>
>printer epson waiting for auto-retry. available.
>	stopped with printer fault

I get this all the time under ESIX 3,2 Rev. D.  The solution?  One, make
*sure* that /dev/lp is linked to the correct lp[012] node.  If your
printer is supposed to be on lp1, the /dev/lp should be linked to /dev/lp1.

The other nonsense is that the printer must be on *before* you boot into
UNIX.  If it isn't, for some reason the OS never realizes the printer has
been connected when you turn it on.

Hope that helps,

Mike Hoffos
--
I am working for the summer at the University of Calgary doing contour
tracing and thinning algorithm research.  My thoughts, deeds, and opinions