[comp.unix.sysv386] tty modem control under Esix Rev D

steve@hacker.uucp (Stephen M. Youndt) (05/17/91)

I've tried, and read, and tried again, and I can't get a tty device with modem
control under Esix Rev D.  The ttyMxx device with the minor device number equal
to the minor device number of the coresponding ttyxx port plus 128 is unaccess-
able from either uucico or cu.  I don't fully understand the format of the
sdevice.d/asy file, but the release notes I have from Revs C & D mention nothing
about any mods that need to be made to get modem control working.

Can anyone out there supply with a cookbook approach to getting this working?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

SMY
--
Stephen M. Youndt -- uunet!hacker!steve

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (05/19/91)

In article <586@hacker.UUCP> steve@hacker.uucp (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
>I've tried, and read, and tried again, and I can't get a tty device with modem
>control under Esix Rev D.  The ttyMxx device with the minor device number equal
>to the minor device number of the coresponding ttyxx port plus 128 is unaccess-
>able from either uucico or cu.  I don't fully understand the format of the
>sdevice.d/asy file, but the release notes I have from Revs C & D mention nothing
>about any mods that need to be made to get modem control working.
>
>Can anyone out there supply with a cookbook approach to getting this working?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
>
>SMY
>--
>Stephen M. Youndt -- uunet!hacker!steve

The file ythat actually does all the work is:
/etc/conf/pack.d/asy/space.c
if I remember correctly.  About 1.5 screens through the file is a
listing of your tty ports - the i/o address is te first field,
interrupt (hardware) is the second and I believe the third
is the modem control field - if you want modem control, that
filed must be MCOUT2 or OUT2 instead of 0.  You should check
the file to be sure that they are correct - i've had my share of
problems with the initasy script that came with Esix.  (it doesn't
work for any other cnfig than perfectly "normal").
That's just a lead, and I don't know if it will work.

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 683-3760