[comp.unix.sysv386] Boot floppy

jlodman@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Michael Lodman) (04/29/91)

I have tried making a file system on /dev/dsk/f0q15d (no boot track)
and have gotten the thing created after some pain. When I mount
the filesystem, there are no errors.

If I then umount it and remount it, the filesystem has gone really
crazy, with allocations that now make no sense, and that fsck can't repair.
It is almost as if the filesystem is slowly deteriorating.
Eventually, fsck deletes the root inode and the filesystem is gone.
It almost seems as if umount is destroying it.

Anybody have any guesses as to what went wrong? I hope to be using
ISC Unix again soon but would like to get this problem resolved.
The particulars were a 386 clone at 25MHz, and ISC 2.02.
It didn't seem to be limited to a particular high density floppy.
I needed to keep the boot track clear, so I didn't use /dev/dsk/f0q15dt.

--
Michael Lodman	Department of Computer Science Engineering
	University of California, San Diego

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) (05/17/91)

Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

Can anyone lead me through the succession of programs that are executed
on a cold boot?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
>the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
>rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
will be hard for someone to help.  However, the first thing I would
do for the boot floppy kernel is strip it and remove the #ident
strings so that it is much smaller.

The pieces of the OS on a boot floppy are usually the minimal set
necessary to build the system, so you may not have much room to
play with.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.010422.15059@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
=will be hard for someone to help.

Shucks, and I thought that *everyone* knew I run AT&T SV/386 R3.2.2!  ;-)

Pete
--

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/21/91)

In <1991May18.010422.15059@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>>Jon Ben Urban got me started, but now I need to find out what files on
>>the boot floppy I made by copying disk #1 of the installation set can be
>>rm'd -- my kernel is 900K!

>You dont specify which version of unix you are talking about, so it
>will be hard for someone to help.  However, the first thing I would
>do for the boot floppy kernel is strip it and remove the #ident
>strings so that it is much smaller.

Oh, and I suppose another thing that could be done is to remove unnecessary
drivers e.g. serial and parallel port drivers assuming you haven't already
done this.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim