[comp.unix.sysv386] ps bug in ODT 1.0?

cjackso@uswnvg.UUCP (Clay Jackson) (05/22/91)

I'm in the midst of trying to compile and install the korn shell
on my ODT 1.0 system (and having some "interesting problems) and
have run into one that is VERY bizzare.  I log in to an account
running the bourne shell, and then run xinit (I'm running staight X,
and NOT using the desktop).  In my .mwmrc file for X, I have a line
that reads:

		"scoterm"	f.exec "scoterm -sb"

When I execute that, if I'm using sh, everything is fine, I get an
scoterm window and things are happy. If I use Ksh, the first
command I type at the window completes and then the process terminates.

I got curious, and, from another multiscreen, did a ps -fu <me> to see
what was running.  The ps display says that the ppid of the
scoterm window is 1.  Everything I know about Unix says that process 1
is init.....

Can anyone shed any light on this?  While you're at it, I'd sure appreciate
it if someone from SCO might be able to give me some idea as to the
difficulties THEY ran into trying to put ksh on ODT 1.0, and if maybe
I'm attempting something that's just plain impossible?

--
Clay Jackson - N7QNM
US WEST NewVector Group, Inc

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (05/23/91)

In article <832@uswnvg.UUCP> cjackso@uswnvg.UUCP (Clay Jackson) writes:
>I'm in the midst of trying to compile and install the korn shell
>on my ODT 1.0 system (and having some "interesting problems) and
>have run into one that is VERY bizzare.

Do not use job control.  Either undefine it, or, in your .kshrc, put in a
'set +m'.  The problem, once again, is that job control in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1
(which is what ODT 1.0 uses as a kernel) is so completely broken that it has
no chance of working.  Preferably, btw, you would upgrade your OS, at least,
to 3.2v2, which has working job control and includes ksh.

>I got curious, and, from another multiscreen, did a ps -fu <me> to see
>what was running.  The ps display says that the ppid of the
>scoterm window is 1.  Everything I know about Unix says that process 1
>is init.....

Yes, that's right.  The ppid:  the parent process.  Its parent has died,
so it gets process 1 as its parent.  This is normal for unix.

>While you're at it, I'd sure appreciate
>it if someone from SCO might be able to give me some idea as to the
>difficulties THEY ran into trying to put ksh on ODT 1.0, and if maybe
>I'm attempting something that's just plain impossible?

I did get ksh working for 3.2.0; however, I did that as an attempt to get
job control working, and my kernel never made it very far outside of the
office 8-).  But, if you are set on using ksh with odt1.0, all you should
need to do is the set +m I mentioned above.  (This prevents ksh from doing a
bunch of things, including putting each command set into a different process
group).

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."