[comp.unix.sysv386] UPS for SCO Box

dennis@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Dennis Cook) (05/20/91)

Has anyone had any experience(s) with Uninterruptible
Power Supplies on machines running SCO System V Unix?

Specifically, what I'd like to know is:

1) Are there any species of U.P.S. that should be
   sought after/avoided?

2) How do I get the U.P.S. to tell the machine that
   it is running on "borrowed time" and to do a shutdown?

If this is too obvious just mail me, but if the
answers are truly enlightening :-) post them.

--
Dennis Cook
University of Technology, Sydney

:-D					(dennis@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (05/21/91)

dennis@ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Dennis Cook) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience(s) with Uninterruptible
> Power Supplies on machines running SCO System V Unix?

Hmmm...is there some particular reason you're concerned about SCO Sys V?
(Is the power requirement for SCO different from AT&T, Esix, ISC, Dell?:-)
I think of UPS concerns as being mostly hardware issues; we'd benefit from
broadening the discussion.

Seriously...we've been 'round the UPS discussion a time or two, but only
lightly; it wouldn't hurt to run it again with updates.  (I think we left a
question about Unison hanging; that ought to be cleared up now.)  One of
the things you need to talk about is what sort of hardware you're trying to
supply--one little machine, a big one, a flock of 'em?

If you really have SCO-specific questions, what are they?

> 2) How do I get the U.P.S. to tell the machine that
>    it is running on "borrowed time" and to do a shutdown?

UPSes which are set up to do this generally talk down a serial port...so
you need a spare serial port and a little program to kick off the shut-
down.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (05/23/91)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>UPSes which are set up to do this generally talk down a serial port...so
>you need a spare serial port and a little program to kick off the shut-
>down.
>--
>Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
>   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

For those of you who can't spare that serial port, you can simply use
the Joystick port of your AT I/O card.  The software/cable that you need to
do this was posted a few weeks ago to this newsgroups.  Those who missed it
can email marc@cam.org for the source and diagrams.

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |