[comp.unix.sysv386] restore console display and vt status

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (05/09/91)

In article <1991Apr14.140430.23712@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
<I've had a problem with xfig causing the X386 server to crash.  This happens
<when I use Roell's binaries on an ESIX Rev D system (with ET4000 VGA).  xfig
<runs fine when the line thickness is set to zero, but drawing something
<with the line thickness greater than zero causes the server to crash.  When it
<crashes, the display gets stuck in graphics mode.  Its possible to switch
<to another vt, but you can't see what you type.

It is rather annoying when ones display is stuck in graphics
mode and/or vt's are left in an insane state. This can also
happen if VP/ix dies.

If a curses application dies, you can get back to a sane state
by typing 'stty sane' or 'stty $oldsttysettings' if you've saved
them.

Has anyone written a program that does a similar thing to your
console display and vt's ? I hate typing 'init 6' blindly.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

In article <1991May9.142835.3424@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>It is rather annoying when ones display is stuck in graphics
>mode and/or vt's are left in an insane state. This can also
>happen if VP/ix dies.

> I hate typing 'init 6' blindly.

I've had this happen too - it seems to be related to switching vt's
at just the wrong time (say just as you start or stop a dos session
while the session screen is being switched, or during floppy access).
It's just the console that is locked up, though.  If you have serial
lines or network connections for inbound connections, you can log in
from another terminal and kill the dos proccess, which fixes everything
without a re-boot.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/12/91)

>If a curses application dies, you can get back to a sane state
>by typing 'stty sane' or 'stty $oldsttysettings' if you've saved
>them.
>
>Has anyone written a program that does a similar thing to your
>console display and vt's ? I hate typing 'init 6' blindly.

Well it's a little gross, but running vpix usually does the trick.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May9.142835.3424@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

(Description of crash and leaving terminal in graphics mode deleted - wjv)

>Has anyone written a program that does a similar thing to your
>console display and vt's ? I hate typing 'init 6' blindly.

Well you might try typing    tput reset   blindly.

That works for me.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May9.142835.3424@cti-software.nl>, pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr14.140430.23712@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
|> <I've had a problem with xfig causing the X386 server to crash.  This happens
[...]
|> It is rather annoying when ones display is stuck in graphics
|> mode and/or vt's are left in an insane state. This can also
|> happen if VP/ix dies.
|>
|> If a curses application dies, you can get back to a sane state
|> by typing 'stty sane' or 'stty $oldsttysettings' if you've saved
|> them.
|>
|> Has anyone written a program that does a similar thing to your
|> console display and vt's ? I hate typing 'init 6' blindly.

I once wrote a tiny little program, that used the ioctls defined in
/usr/include/sys/kd.h to switch video modes on my VGA. ISC's 'loadfont -m <mode>'
will do the same. The VGA contains a *lot* of registers though, and I have had
situations, where not even the ioctls would get me a standing picture any more.
Microport's System V/286 used to have a hot key sequence in it's DOS Merge kernel
wich would cycle through all available video modes (it was needed, too).
Sorry I don't have the program here...

|> --
|> Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
|> CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
|> Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
|> 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@gmdtub.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET