[comp.unix.sysv386] NFS-/etc/exports

grant@gouche (Grant J. Munsey) (05/12/91)

I have ISC 2.1 using NFS. I want to publish a file system such that
a remote machine can become root wrt the file system. I notice in some
NFS implementations the file /etc/exports is where you put instructions
to NFS to allow this. In the NFS doc from Interactive it doesn't mention
anything. Anyoue know the skinny on this?
----
Grant Munsey, Mainticore, Inc. (408) 733-3838
grant@gouche.portal.com  or  decwrl!apple!portal!gouche!grant

grant@gouche (Grant J. Munsey) writes:

>I have ISC 2.1 using NFS. I want to publish a file system such that
>a remote machine can become root wrt the file system. I notice in some
>NFS implementations the file /etc/exports is where you put instructions
>to NFS to allow this. In the NFS doc from Interactive it doesn't mention
>anything. Anyoue know the skinny on this?

ISC's port of NFS does not have this capability.  I posted a work around
a short time ago, but is has a drawback.  You can't control which file
systems or which client systems it applies to (i.e. it applies to all
exported filesystems).

The program is called kernmod.  If you can't find a copy lying around,
send me email and I will send it to you.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) (05/23/91)

In article <223@gouche.UUCP>, grant@gouche (Grant J. Munsey) writes:

|> I have ISC 2.1 using NFS. I want to publish a file system such that
|> a remote machine can become root wrt the file system. I notice in some
|> NFS implementations the file /etc/exports is where you put instructions
|> to NFS to allow this. In the NFS doc from Interactive it doesn't mention
|> anything. Anyoue know the skinny on this?

ISC or rather the Lachman Ass. version of NFS doesn't support this directly.
I wrote a small program (sorry don't have it here) that used 'nm' to find the
address of NOBODY in the kernel, did a seek, read and write on /dev/kmem (or
was it /dev/mem ?) to patch NOBODY (maxint - 2 by default) to 0 (root). Root
accesses are mapped to the UID NOBODY by default (for security reasons). This
is very risky, though, because if a file system is exported to a machine with
a user that is not know by the exporting system, that user will get mapped to
NOBODY, too, meaning any unknown user will have *root* access, too. BTW, NOBODY
has to be patched on the exporting system.

|> ----
|> Grant Munsey, Mainticore, Inc. (408) 733-3838
|> grant@gouche.portal.com  or  decwrl!apple!portal!gouche!grant

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@gmdtub.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET