[comp.unix.sysv386] INTEL SVR4 2.0 vt and nfs broblems

petri@digiw.fi (Petri Alhola) (05/22/91)

I have been running INTEL SVR4 2.0 and havd few problems. Generaly the
system works finely, i got the network running, i can run X clients
over the network to ISC X server and i can mount SVR4 filesystem to ISC
UNIX. I had some problems in installation, mostly becouse the streamer
tape model identification strings was HARD CODED IN KRENEL. To install
from tape i needed to binary patch kernel to get accepting my streamer.
there was also something starange in tape controll utility. Then problems ...

1. I can't open new virtual terminals, newvt and X11 says "No vts available"
   if i run vtlmgr and use <alt+ SysReq><fn> it just says beeb.
   May be that the problem is in kernel konfiguration, waht i sould configure
   in it. ??? .

2. I can't mount filesystem from ISC UNIX 2.2

mount -f nfs digiw:/usr2 /usr2
nfs mount: digiw:/usr2 server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = I
nvalid client credential
nfs mount: retrying: /usr2
nfs mount: digiw:/usr2 server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = I
nvalid client credential

Petri
petri@digiw.fi

steve@lewis.OZ (Steve Pattinson) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.133644.15672@digiw.fi>, petri@digiw.fi (Petri Alhola) writes:
> I have been running INTEL SVR4 2.0 and havd few problems. Generaly the
.... stuff deleted

> 1. I can't open new virtual terminals, newvt and X11 says "No vts available"
>    if i run vtlmgr and use <alt+ SysReq><fn> it just says beeb.
>    May be that the problem is in kernel konfiguration, waht i sould configure
>    in it. ??? .
>
> 2. I can't mount filesystem from ISC UNIX 2.2
>
> mount -f nfs digiw:/usr2 /usr2
> nfs mount: digiw:/usr2 server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = I
> nvalid client credential
> nfs mount: retrying: /usr2
> nfs mount: digiw:/usr2 server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = I
> nvalid client credential

I can't help you with problem number 1 Petri, but you second problem is familiar.

You probably have user "root" appearing in /etc/group >= 8 times. 9 in fact
I think is standard.  If you remove one or more occurances of user "root"
from this file so it appears no more than 8 times (I have 7), your fault will
probably go away.

If this seems like an unlikely fix, all I can say is I didn't believe
it either :-)

Perhaps someone can explain why root has to appear in /etc/group anyway.
After all, the root user does have superuser access, so why the need for
the group access list?

Stephen Pattinson. | Computer Operations Manager  | Lewis Construction Company
15 Batman St., West Melbourne 3003., Victoria, Australia, Ph =>  +61 3 320 4700
A division of the Concrete Constructions Group.   |    ACSnet => steve@lewis.oz