[comp.unix.sysv386] Adding IDE drive to ISC 2.2 on ESDI

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/23/91)

I'm running ISC 2.2 on a Dell System 333D (386 33 MHz) with a
single 320 MB ESDI hard disk + Ultrastore 12F controller. Now I
want to add a 200 MB IDE drive which will fit inside the case (as
the 3 regular drive bays are taken up with the ESDI, a tape unit,
and a floppy).

According to Dell, the IDE must be the primary drive and the ESDI
the secondary drive but I don't want my root directory, etc. on the
IDE as it is materially slower than the ESDI (I am currently
running the IDE on a DOS system).

So the question is, can I have the IDE drive defined as the
primary hard drive, but have my root directory, etc. on the
secondary drive?

I'll summarize any replies by mail.

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience/caveats you can give me,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

==== The Aegis Society =============================================
Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/23/91)

In <wygF38w164w@aegis.or.jp> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) writes:

>I'm running ISC 2.2 on a Dell System 333D (386 33 MHz) with a
>single 320 MB ESDI hard disk + Ultrastore 12F controller. Now I
>want to add a 200 MB IDE drive which will fit inside the case (as
>the 3 regular drive bays are taken up with the ESDI, a tape unit,
>and a floppy).

>According to Dell, the IDE must be the primary drive and the ESDI
>the secondary drive but I don't want my root directory, etc. on the
>IDE as it is materially slower than the ESDI (I am currently
>running the IDE on a DOS system).

>So the question is, can I have the IDE drive defined as the
>primary hard drive, but have my root directory, etc. on the
>secondary drive?

If you *really* want to do this then here's how. Ignore the onboard IDE
controller, go buy a plug-in IDE controller (they shouldn't be too
expensive since they're pretty simple). You can change the I/O addresses
on the IDE controller to the secondary HD addresses. Now you only need to
change the IRQ from 14 to 15. Ready ...
cut the track from 14 and solder across a wire from 15 to the board (i.e.
not bus) side of the cut track. You now have a *secondary* IDE controller
for your machine.
It works (at least with ISC 2.0.2).
I've done it :-)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/24/91)

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) writes:

> If you *really* want to do this then here's how. Ignore the onboard IDE
> controller, go buy a plug-in IDE controller (they shouldn't be too
> expensive since they're pretty simple). You can change the I/O addresses
> on the IDE controller to the secondary HD addresses. Now you only need to
> change the IRQ from 14 to 15. Ready ...
> cut the track from 14 and solder across a wire from 15 to the board (i.e.
> not bus) side of the cut track. You now have a *secondary* IDE controller
> for your machine.
> It works (at least with ISC 2.0.2).
> I've done it :-)

Hmmmm, this sounds like it would do what I wanted in the first place:
my current ESDI as the primary drive and the addon IDE the secondary
drive.

Question #1: No conflict with the on-board IDE controller on a Dell
             System 333D?

Question #2: Anybody know where I can get a plug-in IDE? Name,
             address, int'l tel/fax numbers if you would....

--Dave