[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC 2.2.1 & IPC

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (05/24/91)

I installed the 2.2.1 update to one of our machines, along with the
latest TCP/IP update and NFS update and msg.h update.

All I know is that our main application on this system (voice-mail) now
dies upon startup with
Cannot send message: no more processes

This refers to the sending of an IPC message.  There are very few
processes running on the machine (NPROC is at 120) and ipcs shows no
messages queued.  I even tried recompiling all our binaries on this
machine (with the new msg.h) but no luck.  (The program doesn't use
either of the calls mentioned in the msg.h fix doc, but I thought I'd
give it a try.)

If I boot the old kernel, everything works fine.  There is no
difference in stune (or any other cf.d files) between these two
kernels.

Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

>I installed the 2.2.1 update to one of our machines, along with the
>latest TCP/IP update and NFS update and msg.h update.

>All I know is that our main application on this system (voice-mail) now
>dies upon startup with
>Cannot send message: no more processes

What this tells me is that a system call failed and set errno to EAGAIN.
You need to identify which system call it was (since you have source it
shouldn't be too hard) before one can really guess at what the cause
of the problem is.

>If I boot the old kernel, everything works fine.  There is no
>difference in stune (or any other cf.d files) between these two
>kernels.

Are you sure mdevice or sdevice (via changes in sdevice.d) hasn't changed?

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170