[comp.unix.sysv386] FATAL: Parity error on add-on card. What does it mean ?

stb@isbank.is (Steintor Bjarnason) (05/24/91)

My computer (Tandon 386/33, 8MB memory, Adaptec 1542 scsi controller) has
been crashing a lot lately with the error message :
  FATAL: Parity error on an add-on card.
  PANIC: Parity error address unknown.

Also when I have used shutdown to stop ISC then it has crashed with a :
   PANIC: Kernel mode trap.  Type 0x0000000E

My add-on cards are:
  Racal Interlan NI6510 Ethernet card, INT=12, I/O=360-36F, DMA=3
  Datatalker PC/XL 3270 card, INT=5, I/O=2A0-2AF, Shared Ram=D8000-DBFFF
  Netcom II, RB14 X.25 card, INT=15, Shared Ram=D00000-D80000
  Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller, INT=11, I/O=330-333, BIOS=C8000-CC000
  Paralell/Serial card with LPT1,COM1 and COM2. (INT=7,3,4,
                                                 I/O=378-37F,3F8-3FF,2F8-2FF)
Computer:
  Tandon 386/33mhz with 8MB memory running Interactive Unix v2.2.0
  660 MB Storage Dimension SCSI disk.

Strangly enough, this setup worked perfectly for about 10 months but my
computer started to crash about 1/2 month ago.  I have tried to replace the
X.25 card and also removed the 3270 card but it still crashes.

Is this a problem with my add-on cards or a problem with the main memory ?
If the main memory is faulty, then shouldn't I get a "Parity error at ..." or
a "Parity error unknown." ?

Is it possible that my Ethernet card or the Paralell/Serial card is giving
me problems ?  These cards don't contain any memory.

Please e-mail if you have any suggestions.
  Steintor

--
Steinthor Bjarnason       Internet: stb@isbank.is
Islandsbanki h.f.         UUCP:     {mcsun,sunic,uunet}!isgate!isbank.is!stb

breckenr@mpr.ca (Dennis Breckenridge) (05/25/91)

In article <818@isbank.is> stb@isbank.is (Steintor Bjarnason) writes:
>My computer (Tandon 386/33, 8MB memory, Adaptec 1542 scsi controller) has
>been crashing a lot lately with the error message :
>  FATAL: Parity error on an add-on card.
>  PANIC: Parity error address unknown.
>
>Also when I have used shutdown to stop ISC then it has crashed with a :
>   PANIC: Kernel mode trap.  Type 0x0000000E

There are a number of things to try to locate the error. The first
place I would look is in the main system memory. If you have a way
of disabling the parity bit hardware, do that. Try heating the memory
with a heat gun or lamp.

Strip the system down to it's bare components, run with dis only for
a while, then add youer network cards one at a time. You may have
a race condition that is caused by a bus timing problem. It did not
show up right due to new component toleraces. Heat and time changed
the tolerances.

ISC panic 0000000E is a catch all panic, if the machine does not
know why it panic'ed it falls into a routine that dumps it. You
are better off trying this under MESSY_DOS.

Hope this helps

--
Dennis S. Breckenridge  |
MPR Teltech Ltd         | Email:     breckenr@mpr.ca

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May24.170934.13027@mprgate.mpr.ca> breckenr@mpr.ca (Dennis Breckenridge) writes:
>In article <818@isbank.is> stb@isbank.is (Steintor Bjarnason) writes:

>>Also when I have used shutdown to stop ISC then it has crashed with a :
>>   PANIC: Kernel mode trap.  Type 0x0000000E

>ISC panic 0000000E is a catch all panic, if the machine does not
>know why it panic'ed it falls into a routine that dumps it.

Nonsense! Type E is not a 'catch all', it is a very specific panic, it
is a kernel mode page fault and it isn't ISC specific, the hardware
generates the type of the trap when it occurs and as ANY vendor's kernel
that I am aware of for the i386 are non-pageable this fault should never
happen when running in kernel mode, and thus you will always panic. The
most common reason that I have seen for this panic to occur is flakey
hardware causing intermittent data corruption.

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -