[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX Release 4.0 questions

mikeh@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Michael Hoffos) (05/18/91)

Dumb question time.  Since I can't get any information out of the Canadian
distibutor for ESIX, and since the ESIX in the US won't answer my questions,
I am hoping someone out there in netland can.

Does ESIX Release 4.0 have:
1) the korn shell
2) nroff etc.
3) (n)dbm routines
4) working non-kludgy sockets
5) posix compliance

Thanks for any and all info.  If there is enough response, I will post a
summary.

Mike Hoffos
--
I am working for the summer at the University of Calgary doing contour
tracing and thinning algorithm research.  My thoughts, deeds, and opinions

kittlitz@granite.ma30.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) (05/20/91)

Another Esix V.4 question I don't remember seeing: does it support EISA
systems (more than 16MB memory, controllers with I/O addresses > 4K)?
Does it support more than 16MB memory on an ISA system (driver buffers
restricted to low 16MB for DMA, paging and disk I/O may require
memory-memory copies before or after the I/O).

After the massive flurry of discussion which followed the announcement,
has anyone bought/got the system? how good is it?

-----
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz@world.std.com / kittlitz@granite.ma30.bull.com
Contracting at Bull, but not alleging any representation of their philosophy.

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (05/22/91)

Direct from Esix:
4.0 will work with more than 16 MB RAM in an ISA system , of course only
if the RAM is on the motherboard.  As for boards with I/O addresses
greater than 4K, that is a bus limitation that most clone motherboards
have - they only have 10 bits of I/O addressing decoded on their
buses.  I had that problem once on a machine for a multi-port
serial board - it just wouldn't work.  Then I found out about the 10
bit i/o business.

I do not have 4.0 yet, but I will have it real soon now and will
post as to its effectiveness.

-Nathan Lane

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May18.064018.28175@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> mikeh@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Michael Hoffos) writes:
>Dumb question time.  Since I can't get any information out of the Canadian
>distibutor for ESIX, and since the ESIX in the US won't answer my questions,
>I am hoping someone out there in netland can.

Who did you talk to in the US?

>Does ESIX Release 4.0 have:
>1) the korn shell
Yes
>2) nroff etc.
Yes, but they are the BSD versions.
>3) (n)dbm routines
Yes
>4) working non-kludgy sockets
Yes, they are part of all 4.0 kernals!
>5) posix compliance
Yes - This is also from AT&T

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May24.160959.21052@everex.uucp> jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
>>Does ESIX Release 4.0 have:
>>2) nroff etc.
>Yes, but they are the BSD versions.

	AT&T's 4.0 r2.1's nroff is in the bsd directory also, but it
	is not the C.A.T. version.  It works fine with jetroff, which
	needs a modern ditroff type troff.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us