[comp.unix.sysv386] Opinions? IDE vs. ESDI for a V.4 486

davis@csrg2.ee.iastate.edu (Jim Davis) (05/25/91)

I am in need of some informed opinions....I am going to purchase a 486/25
to replace my 386 UNIX PC.  I am somewhat limited in what I can choose for
hardware options.  I know these are very fuzzy questions, and I do know a
little about UNIX, PC's and hardware, so I guess I am just looking for some
opinions from someone else who has thought about this more than I have...

1)  What do you think about a 200Mb IDE disk verses a 330Mb ESDI drive?  The
    difference in speed is not important to me, and the extra storage would be
    nice, but are there any "other" reasons to spend the extra money on the
    ESDI drive (like reliability)?

2)  Does anyone running system-V R4 have a feel for how much memory is needed?
    My choices are 8Mb or 16Mb.  On my 386, I don't think I ever used more
    than 6Mb of the 8Mb it has.  But I imagine Motif or Openlook needs quite
    a bit more memory.

"Thanks in advance" for any comments you care to share.

Jim Davis
davis@csrg2.ee.iastate.edu

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/26/91)

davis@csrg2.ee.iastate.edu (Jim Davis) writes:

> I am in need of some informed opinions....I am going to purchase a 486/25
> to replace my 386 UNIX PC.  I am somewhat limited in what I can choose for
> 1)  What do you think about a 200Mb IDE disk verses a 330Mb ESDI drive?  The
>     difference in speed is not important to me, and the extra storage would b
>     nice, but are there any "other" reasons to spend the extra money on the
>     ESDI drive (like reliability)?

I am running a 330 MB ESDI on my ISC 2.2 and want to add a 200 MB IDE,
but my tests have shown that this particular ESDI is twice as fast as
this particular ESDI. I don't want to have the system on the IDE as
I think it would materially affect the performance of the system but
using the IDE for storging just data (it's holding the USENET feed right
now) would be OK.

So I really question your saying that "speed is not important". If not,
then why are you moving to a 486/25?

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.