[comp.unix.sysv386] Noisy software

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (05/24/91)

jim@crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>     (Note in case ISC is reading over my shoulder: yes, I *do* have a multi-
>user license.  But the copyright notices are *still* annoying the 3x10^3th time
>you see them.)

Seconded.

One of the most annoying things in software is excess verbosity.  I like
and use many Unix tools because they do the job; quickly and efficiently.
Under MS-DOS I often tire of the fact that almost every program or utility
written for it displays a banner and copyright - some quite flamboyant,
though that software usually doesn't last more than two minutes on the
disk ... :-)

One copyright notice on bootup is quite sufficient thanks.  I see no need
to have wordy copyright strings displayed every time a login succeds.

--
 David Nugent                                      Unique Computing Pty Limited
 Communications/PC/Unix Consulting           3:632/348@fidonet 28:4100/1@signet

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (05/26/91)

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:

> One copyright notice on bootup is quite sufficient thanks.  I see no need
> to have wordy copyright strings displayed every time a login succeds.

Any amount of copyright notices and whatnot on bootup is fine with
me. It's just that I want the sigon before the login to reference
the system I developed on top of the OS, not the OS.

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.