[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO Unix and Archive tape drives.

gph@viscar.uucp (Gerard Hickey) (05/21/91)

I recently bought an Archive 2060 tape drive, and I have been having major
problems trying to make it work. Does anyone out there have the beast working
with SCO UNIX 3.2?

I got the device driver for the tape drive installed fine, but everytime I
access the drive, it causes my kernel to panic!!! I know the SCSI sub-system
is working fine because I have an 80 Mb hard disk on an Adaptec 1540B
controller.  I have never really had a problem with the hard disk. Just the
tape drive.

Right now, I have the tape drive configured as device number 6, with a 32 Kb
buffer disconnect. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you one and all that answer.

--
					Gerard.

  Gerard Hickey                      UUCP: uunet!sir-alan!admiral!viscar!gph
  Viscar.UUCP: (207)439-3123         Snail Mail: 10 North Crescent Dr.
  24 hour operation--mucho sources               Eliot, ME   03903
Southern Maine's Public USENET Access site

     My employer does not acknowledge that I have any opinions or ideas.

dick@starfish.Convergent.COM (Dick Hacking) (05/25/91)

In <1991May21.063625.20549@viscar.uucp> gph@viscar.uucp (Gerard Hickey) writes:

>I recently bought an Archive 2060 tape drive, and I have been having major
>problems trying to make it work. Does anyone out there have the beast working
>with SCO UNIX 3.2?

>I got the device driver for the tape drive installed fine, but everytime I
>access the drive, it causes my kernel to panic!!!

I have not seen a kernel panic, but we had a lot of
difficulties with Archive tape drives in all platforms when
the firmware on the drive was not up to the latest revision
level. If the firmware in your drive is 21247-005 or less
GET IT UPDATED. I consider -006 the minimum acceptable
revision for *any* OS and we (Unisys) are currently shipping
-011 firmware.

Dick.

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/28/91)

In <2162@starfish.Convergent.COM> dick@starfish.Convergent.COM (Dick Hacking) writes:

:In <1991May21.063625.20549@viscar.uucp> gph@viscar.uucp (Gerard Hickey) writes:

:>I recently bought an Archive 2060 tape drive, and I have been having major
:>problems trying to make it work. Does anyone out there have the beast working
:>with SCO UNIX 3.2?

:>I got the device driver for the tape drive installed fine, but everytime I
:>access the drive, it causes my kernel to panic!!!

:I have not seen a kernel panic, but we had a lot of
:difficulties with Archive tape drives in all platforms when
:the firmware on the drive was not up to the latest revision
:level. If the firmware in your drive is 21247-005 or less
:GET IT UPDATED. I consider -006 the minimum acceptable
:revision for *any* OS and we (Unisys) are currently shipping
:-011 firmware.

:Dick.

I have used the Archive ``FasTape'' and ``Viper'' drives on
several SCO systems without any problems by setting the IRQ at 2
and declaring it to be 25 in ``mkdev tape''.  The Appropriate

I don't really understand the `logic' of Intel bus IRQs, but this
works fine where I've tried it.

Most of our systems are using Archive 150MB SCSI tapes
eliminating this problem entirely (except I had a bit of a bother
figuring out that I had to delete a tape and declare the scsi as
the default tape before I could use it under SCO UNIX 3.2v2).

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

Bill.Campbell@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Bill Campbell) (05/28/91)

[...]

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)