[comp.unix.sysv386] AST 4 port serial card

paul@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Paul Derks) (05/26/91)

I recently bought a cheap AST 4 port serial card CC832, is this
the standard AST 4 port card which is supported by FAS? The
interupt switches are pretty obvious but could someone please tell
me what dipswitch SW3 does, it has four labels:
   XA1
   XA0
   INT
   SHR

Thanks in advance

Paul Derks

rbt@tous.uucp (Robert B. Tate) (05/28/91)

In article <209@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl> paul@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Paul Derks) writes:

>I recently bought a cheap AST 4 port serial card CC832, is this
>the standard AST 4 port card which is supported by FAS? The
>interupt switches are pretty obvious but could someone please tell
>me what dipswitch SW3 does, it has four labels:
>   XA1
>   XA0
>   INT
>   SHR
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Paul Derks

I bought, used, some of these some time ago, without doc. I called the
AST Info-FAX line from a friends office and got some info. (the Info-FAX
line 8am-3pm PST, 714-727-4773 and the BBS is 714-727-4723).

The info I didn't get was the pin outs on the 37 pin connector on the
back of the card. I also have an older card with only one DIP switch with
8 positions. Any info on it will help also!

This comes from the FAXs I got:
For the CC832 (AST part number 202013-xxx) for DOS (sorry, this is the
only one given).

SW3-1	ON	Set the board in Compatible mode. (sets board for COM1/2/3/4)
SW3-1	OFF	Set to Enhanced mode (sets board for COM3/4/5/6)
SW3-2	ON	Set the High order I/O address range. Used w/ATs
SW3-2	OFF	Set the Low order I/O address range. For PC/XTs
SW3-3	ON	ALWAYS
SW3-4	ON	ALWAYS

From another FAX:
for XENIX
For the mkdev serial command, the board switches must be set as follows:

IRQ4                            IRQ3
Enhanced mode                   Enhanced mode
I/O addresses 2A0h-2BFh         I/O addresses 1A0h-1BFh
Install as COM1                 Install as COM2

I hope this helps some. It is all I have been able to find out so far. If
anyone else has any info, PLEASE post it. I have seen others looking for
this info before and am sure we will again.

--
 rbt@tous.UUCP             Robert B. Tate | A little knowledge is a dangerous
 {ucf-cs,peora,uunet}!tarpit!tous!rbt     | thing. Any less can kill you.

Robert.B..Tate@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Robert B. Tate) (05/28/91)

In article <209@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl> paul@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Paul Derks) writes:

>I recently bought a cheap AST 4 port serial card CC832, is this
>the standard AST 4 port card which is supported by FAS? The
>interupt switches are pretty obvious but could someone please tell
>me what dipswitch SW3 does, it has four labels:
>   XA1
>   XA0
>   INT
>   SHR
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Paul Derks

I bought, used, some of these some time ago, without doc. I called the
AST Info-FAX line from a friends office and got some info. (the Info-FAX
line 8am-3pm PST, 714-727-4773 and the BBS is 714-727-4723).

The info I didn't get was the pin outs on the 37 pin connector on the
back of the card. I also have an older card with only one DIP switch with
8 positions. Any info on it will help also!

This comes from the FAXs I got:
For the CC832 (AST part number 202013-xxx) for DOS (sorry, this is the
only one given).

SW3-1	ON	Set the board in Compatible mode. (sets board for COM1/2/3/4)
SW3-1	OFF	Set to Enhanced mode (sets board for COM3/4/5/6)
SW3-2	ON	Set the High order I/O address range. Used w/ATs
SW3-2	OFF	Set the Low order I/O address range. For PC/XTs
SW3-3	ON	ALWAYS
SW3-4	ON	ALWAYS

From another FAX:
for XENIX
For the mkdev serial command, the board switches must be set as follows:

IRQ4                            IRQ3
Enhanced mode                   Enhanced mode
I/O addresses 2A0h-2BFh         I/O addresses 1A0h-1BFh
Install as COM1                 Install as COM2

I hope this helps some. It is all I have been able to find out so far. If
anyone else has any info, PLEASE post it. I have seen others looking for
this info before and am sure we will again.

--
 rbt@tous.UUCP             Robert B. Tate | A little knowledge is a dangerous
 {ucf-cs,peora,uunet}!tarpit!tous!rbt     | thing. Any less can kill you.

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)