[comp.unix.sysv386] AT&T SVR4 and 1542B

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) (05/24/91)

  Someone asked if it's possible to get an Adaptec 1542B working with
AT&T SVR4.  I replied yes, I've got it working with SVR4 v3.0 and v4.0
and also with Dell SVR4 v2.01.  I then wondered if the 1740 (Adaptec's
SCSI adapter for the EISA bus) work with SVR4.

  I've been informed by Dell that they have a customer who is using the
1740 with their SVR4 and their machine.  However, he has to use the
1542B emulation mode of the card as there is no driver for the 1740
native mode.  That's too bad because you won't get any benefits that
EISA and the 1740 (possibly) offers.  IMHO, it's a waste of money.

  Dell also said that they are working on a native driver for it though,
and maybe in an upcoming release of Dell SVR4.  That's all the detail I
have about it.  Contact Dell if you want know more.

-- Tin

DISCLAIMER: I am not involve with Dell Computer in any way, except as a
satisfied customer.  The above is solely my personal opinions, I don't
speak for Sony and they don't speak for me.
--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (05/25/91)

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) writes:
>  I've been informed by Dell that they have a customer who is using the
>1740 with their SVR4 and their machine.  However, he has to use the
>1542B emulation mode of the card as there is no driver for the 1740
>native mode.  That's too bad because you won't get any benefits that
>EISA and the 1740 (possibly) offers.  IMHO, it's a waste of money.

that is not correct, the 1740 will do 32bit DMA in both modes.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

Heiko.Blume@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Heiko Blume) (05/26/91)

tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) writes:
>  I've been informed by Dell that they have a customer who is using the
>1740 with their SVR4 and their machine.  However, he has to use the
>1542B emulation mode of the card as there is no driver for the 1740
>native mode.  That's too bad because you won't get any benefits that
>EISA and the 1740 (possibly) offers.  IMHO, it's a waste of money.

that is not correct, the 1740 will do 32bit DMA in both modes.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:
        scuzzy Any ACU,f 38400 6919520 gin:--gin: nuucp sword: nuucp
                     uucp scuzzy!/src/README /your/home

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/28/91)

In <1991May25.152757.28400@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:

>tin@smsc.sony.com (Tin Le) writes:
>>  I've been informed by Dell that they have a customer who is using the
>>1740 with their SVR4 and their machine.  However, he has to use the
>>1542B emulation mode of the card as there is no driver for the 1740
>>native mode.  That's too bad because you won't get any benefits that
>>EISA and the 1740 (possibly) offers.  IMHO, it's a waste of money.

>that is not correct, the 1740 will do 32bit DMA in both modes.

Unfortunately, all the "1542"-type drivers I know of only setup 24-bit
addresses and hence the 1740 cannot be used in systems with more than
16M of memory. However I see that there are drivers for the 1740 being
produced by most OS vendors so the problem should soon be history.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

Tim.Wright@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Tim Wright) (05/29/91)