[comp.unix.sysv386] UPS

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.173008.3653@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

> Seriously...we've been 'round the UPS discussion a time or
> two, but only lightly; it wouldn't hurt to run it again
> with updates.

Ok, here's my question for the UPS FAQ:

I want to have an hour's worth of UPS capacity.  If the
power goes down, I don't want anything to happen for 45
minutes, then, IF THE POWER HASN'T COME BACK ON, I want to
start shutting down.  If the power has come back on, I want
it to be transparent to the computer.

Do any commercial UPS hardware/software packages support
this mode?

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (Michael L. Gantz) (05/22/91)

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:

> In article <1991May20.173008.3653@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) wr
>
> > Seriously...we've been 'round the UPS discussion a time or
> > two, but only lightly; it wouldn't hurt to run it again
> > with updates.
>
> Ok, here's my question for the UPS FAQ:
>
> I want to have an hour's worth of UPS capacity.  If the
> power goes down, I don't want anything to happen for 45
> minutes, then, IF THE POWER HASN'T COME BACK ON, I want to
> start shutting down.  If the power has come back on, I want
> it to be transparent to the computer.
>
> Do any commercial UPS hardware/software packages support
> this mode?
>
> --
> Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
> rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

        Sure the 'Best' UPS line and their software 'CheckUPS' will
do this.  But, depending on how much hardware you have, 45 minutes
may be asking for a lot.....  If you need more info give them a call
at 1-800-356-5794 (Best Power Technology, Inc.)

Note: Not affiliated with Best, but well impressed.
---

Michael L. Gantz         | gantzm@gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us
213 Napoleon Rd.         | osu-cis!bgsuvax!gantz!gantzm
Bowling Green, Oh 43402  | Mellon!  I had only to speak the Elvish word for
(419) 353-5029           | friend and the doors opened.  - J.R.R. Tolkien

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/22/91)

In <1991May21.070537.15809@rfengr.com> rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:

>Ok, here's my question for the UPS FAQ:

>I want to have an hour's worth of UPS capacity.  If the
>power goes down, I don't want anything to happen for 45
>minutes, then, IF THE POWER HASN'T COME BACK ON, I want to
>start shutting down.  If the power has come back on, I want
>it to be transparent to the computer.

>Do any commercial UPS hardware/software packages support
>this mode?

Well, the SmartUPS600 from APC does pretty much what you want. I got
about 25 minutes on a maximally configured '386 system with 16"
monitor. It warns users every n (configurable) minutes that the machine
is on emergency power and when the UPS reaches very low battery, it
initiates a shutdown. If power is restored before that point, it
carries on.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.070537.15809@rfengr.com>
	rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:
>I want to have an hour's worth of UPS capacity.

What are you going to be doing for that hour while all the printers
and terminals lie dead waiting for power to return?

It's your money - but unless you've got unusual conditions, 99% of
all power failures (SWAG statistics) are going to be measured on the
order of milliseconds.  I don't want any more then ten minutes of
capacity from the UPS - if power isn't back in five minutes then it's
time to do a shutdown.

A UPS which keeps things running for extremely long durations of time
isn't of interest to me.  What I'd find important is a UPS which isn't
too impatient about returning back on-line.  You can get some real
crap coming through - and some false starts - when power returns.  I
think it's critical that a UPS takes its time and ensures power is
solid and stable before giving the green light.

I've been using Unison UPS's.  They are pretty inexpensive for a true
UPS, and seem to do the trick.  They've got a port I can monitor
through a serial line and effect an automatic shutdown.  Unfortunately,
they use a DIN connector instead of something easier to work with
(e.g. a DB).  Also, they use that dorky flat profile box, so the thing
is supposed to to be able to sit on a peecee.  I've only been using
them for about six months, so I don't know how they are on battery
life and cost/hassle of battery replacement.  I home I'm not in for
any rude surprises.

I've heard good things about Clary supplies.  People also seem to say
nice things about the Best supplies.  Although the Best isn't a true
UPS they are reputed to have very good ferromagnetic filtering.
Myself, I'm lusting after a Toshiba 1KVA unit - but damn they are
expensive.  The spring storm season seems to have passed, so I think
I can afford another six months of waffling.
--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play so
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May22.175630.16468@chinacat.unicom.com> chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>I've been using Unison UPS's.  They are pretty inexpensive for a true
>UPS, and seem to do the trick.

I've been using a Unison unit for about two years, and it's been
completely trouble free.  We have a lot of electrical storm activity
here in central Florida, so the UPS gets tested frequently with 1-2
second outages.  Florida Power and Light is affectionately known as
"Florida Flicker and Flash."  During the time that I've had it, only
once has the power been out long enough for the batteries to give out
-- and that was an eight-hour outage.

>I've only been using them for about six months, so I don't know how
>they are on battery life and cost/hassle of battery replacement.  I
>home I'm not in for any rude surprises.

The unit I have has to be returned to the factory for battery
replacement -- a definite "minus."  While composing this article, I
unplugged the UPS, and I got the "two minute warning" after about five
minutes.  I guess the batteries are on their last legs.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

dag@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (05/29/91)

We've been using a couple of Best UPSs for almost a year now, and they've
saved us numerous times.  A previous poster was correct in questioning the
utility of staying up for long periods while all the terminals and printers
are down.  We do have one PC on the net that runs a critical overnight
job that is protected by it's own little UPS, mostly to keep it up through
minor glitches.  Because we over bought in anticipation of expansion, we
currently have just over 30 minutes of backup.

Best's CheckUps software is supplied in source form (c), so it was easy to
modify to behave exactly as we wanted.  You can (and we do) use the UPS's
ambient temperature alarms as well as the power condition/backup time alarms.

Since the UPS's clock appears to be more accurate than on our computers, I
have considered using it as a time reference as well.

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130