[comp.unix.sysv386] Printer Problems

derrick@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) (05/18/91)

 I recently installed the Line Printer Spooler package from AT&T for
my Sys V r4 version 2.1 system. The OA&M menu system gives an error
stating that the -v option is needed, making me suspect that the add on
package isn't updated for this version of Sys V.
 Doing it by hand, I specify /dev/lp to be the printer, but I get error
messages in the mail stating that it cannot be opened.
 What am I doing wrong?

                                                  Derrick

terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May17.192418.12195@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu>, derrick@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) writes:

>  Doing it by hand, I specify /dev/lp to be the printer, but I get error
> messages in the mail stating that it cannot be opened.
>  What am I doing wrong?

I believe you would get this message if /dev/lp is owned by
someone other than lp. You might check this out.

|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/30/91)

In article <1991May17.192418.12195@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu>, derrick@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Derrick Williams) writes:

>  I recently installed the Line Printer Spooler package from AT&T for
> my Sys V r4 version 2.1 system. The OA&M menu system gives an error
> stating that the -v option is needed, making me suspect that the add on
> package isn't updated for this version of Sys V.
>  Doing it by hand, I specify /dev/lp to be the printer, but I get error
> messages in the mail stating that it cannot be opened.
>  What am I doing wrong?
>
>                                                   Derrick

------------------
Derrick,
	A couple of guesses on my part.
1. Was the printer powered up and on line when Unix was started?
   Easy way to check is to try it this way.
2. Did you have that parallel port active when Unix was installed?
   Easy way to check is to look at file /etc/conf/sdevice.d/lp and
   see if a Y is present after the name instead of an N. Y says include
   this driver in the kernel (the driver code is in /etc/conf/pack.d/lp).
   If it's an N then change it and rebuild the kernel (after saving the
   one you have now).

	I'm running the same software as you and have had no trouble plugging
an HPLJ Series III into the parallel port. No complaints from the system.
However, if a printer is not available at Unix start time then Unix seems to
wait forever/2 to get around to servicing it when the need arises. I chose
one of the printer definitions to be associated with lp, using the sysadm
menu system.
	Finally, using the menu scheme you can check the validity of the
installation of lp. Sometimes we can install things in the wrong order.
	Joe Doupnik