[comp.unix.sysv386] Performance in 486 EISA machines: ISC vs. SCO

solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) (05/23/91)

I don't want to start any flame wars between ISC and SCO supporters
but I need some information about performance of these unices on souped-up
486/33 MHz EISA machines.  I've read quite a bit about pros and cons
of SCO, but the pros and cons discussed deal mainly with features of
the system, rather than shear horsepower.

The Personal Workstation review of ISC and SCO has an intriguing section
in it:  "On the IOBench 2 disk, SCO Unix outperformed Interactive only on
single-tasking reads.  Interactive had an advantage of 25 to 30 percent
on the impotant random read/write test, and of several hundred percent on
sequential writes."  SEVERAL HUNDRED PERCENT!?!??  Is this for real, or
is this a typo?  We are quite interested in sequential writes, because
we will be setting up a partition on our disk for data-taking that will
be wiped clean before every data run (to avoid forcing the head to jump
around).  Can anyone confirm or refute this "several hundred percent" thing?

A few other questions:  do either (or both) of these unices support
486-specific commands (presumably increasing efficiency)?  How about
features specific to the EISA bus, such as bus mastering (very important
for high throughput in disk access) and DMA, and 33 MHz burst mode?  Also,
can either (or both) handle _synchronous_ SCSI transfers to disk?

For the record, we are planning on purchasing an Austin Computer Systems
486/33 MHz EISA machine with an EISA, SCSI, non-caching disk controller
(probably the UltraStor 24F), and a Seagate Elite (ST41600N) SCSI disk
(rated for 3Mbytes/sec internal transfer rate).  We want to get an
operating system that will take advantage of all the performance of
this machine.  By the way, we are considering putting a DOS partition
on the disk, and using DOS for real-time data-taking, then switch to
unix for the analysis.

Thanks.

					Tom Solomon
					solomon@chaos.utexas.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (05/24/91)

solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) writes:

>The Personal Workstation review of ISC and SCO has an intriguing section
>in it:  "On the IOBench 2 disk, SCO Unix outperformed Interactive only on
>single-tasking reads.  Interactive had an advantage of 25 to 30 percent
>on the impotant random read/write test, and of several hundred percent on
>sequential writes."  SEVERAL HUNDRED PERCENT!?!??  Is this for real, or
>is this a typo?  We are quite interested in sequential writes, because

Nope - the ISC SCSI FFS is much, much faster than SCO's Acer FFS.

We started playing with the SVR4 FFS and it appears to be quite fast
as well - benchmarks coming soon!
--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (05/24/91)

In article <49397@ut-emx.uucp> solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) writes:

>The Personal Workstation review of ISC and SCO has an intriguing section

My memory of this article is that it uses an obsolete version of SCO UNIX.

I notice that
in recent benchmarks in PW magazine they are still using SCO UNIX 3.2.0, not
the current 3.2.2, and I understand that disk I/O is one area that was
improved.  My memory is that this article used 3.2.1, but that's still before
the driver improvements went in.

I am running SCO ODT 1.0 (upgrading to 1.1 soon) on a 486/25; the final
release of 1.0 seems quite reliable.
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (05/25/91)

In article <49397@ut-emx.uucp> solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) writes:
[ ISC and SCO stuff deleted ]
>A few other questions:  do either (or both) of these unices support
>486-specific commands (presumably increasing efficiency)?  How about
>features specific to the EISA bus, such as bus mastering (very important
>for high throughput in disk access) and DMA, and 33 MHz burst mode?  Also,
>can either (or both) handle _synchronous_ SCSI transfers to disk?

Bus mastering is not EISA specific.  Micronics, Intel, and Mylex all build
386 33 mhz ISA motherboards that support bus masters, and will do
synchronous transfer with Adaptec AHA-154xx SCSI controllers.

If SCO and ISC don't have support in their drivers, they are just plain lazy.

>For the record, we are planning on purchasing an Austin Computer Systems
>486/33 MHz EISA machine with an EISA, SCSI, non-caching disk controller
>(probably the UltraStor 24F), and a Seagate Elite (ST41600N) SCSI disk
>(rated for 3Mbytes/sec internal transfer rate).  We want to get an
>operating system that will take advantage of all the performance of
>this machine.  By the way, we are considering putting a DOS partition
>on the disk, and using DOS for real-time data-taking, then switch to
>unix for the analysis.

Or you could experiment with VPIX.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (05/30/91)

In article <9105242244.15@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <49397@ut-emx.uucp> solomon@chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Solomon) writes:
>>this machine.  By the way, we are considering putting a DOS partition
>>on the disk, and using DOS for real-time data-taking, then switch to
>>unix for the analysis.
>
>Or you could experiment with VPIX.

I wouldn't think anyone would want to use VP/ix for any kind of REAL
TIME processing.  It is a real performance dog, at least on a 25mhz
machine.  It definitely couldn't be counted on to perform real-time
performance.    Of course I may have mis-interpreted your need
for "real time" here;  maybe you mean just having someone type
in numbers "as they're available" or something?

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us	The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill       bill@unixland