[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/25/91)

If I reboot my SCO Unix system, incoming SMTP mail gets put into the
queue (deferred, I think due to a host-name lookup failure) and not
ever unqueued.  If I kill the sendmail daemon and restart it, the
queue gets emptied out properly to the appropriate users' mailboxes.

Apparently sendmail is getting started before some other task on which
it depends, but I haven't a clue as to how to solve this problem.  For
now, I've been manually restarting the daemon after the boot sequence
completes.

SCO ships the system with mmdf, and there may be an interaction problem
with the mmdfdeliver daemon which is always there sitting in the
background.  I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's
documentation implies that mmdf is superior and one should dump
sendmail instead.  If mmdf is superior, then my first question is "How
can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?" and my second
is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
so on), using a sendmail daemon on a non-SCO system to relay mail to
the Internet via UUCP.  (I've got my domain name server set up to
recognize systems on a domain called "kronos.com", and I've got SCO
sendmail configured to relay all mail addressed to external domains
to a given system on the LAN that knows how to pass it along to
the world-wide Internet.)

-rich

Rich.Braun@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Rich Braun) (05/26/91)

[...]

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

david@sco.COM (David Fiander) (05/27/91)

In article <7647@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>SCO ships the system with mmdf, and there may be an interaction problem
>with the mmdfdeliver daemon which is always there sitting in the
>background.  I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's

This is your problem exactly.  If you really want to run sendmail, you
have to uninstall mmdf, because they both attempt to listen for SMTP
connections (actually the inetd and sendmail both attempt to listen).

>documentation implies that mmdf is superior and one should dump
>sendmail instead.  If mmdf is superior, then my first question is "How
>can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?" and my second
>is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

In reverse order:  You cannot configure the version of mmdf that you are
running to talk to the nameserver.  This has been corrected in the next
release of SCO MMDF.  The way to get mmdf to communicate with remote
sendmail daemons is to properly configure MMDF to do so.  Since you have
been spending all your time trying to fix you perceived sendmail
problems, you probably haven't worked very hard on MMDF (that's not a
flame, I would have done the same thing).

MMDF is only better that sendmail in one (very important) way:  normal
human beings can understand how to configure it in about 15 minutes, and
can read the configuration files without having the manual beside them.
Aside from that, MMDF and Sendmail solve basically the same problem in
basically the same way.

>I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
>based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
>so on), using a sendmail daemon on a non-SCO system to relay mail to

You're talking to one (but we didn't relay things through sendmail to the
Internet, just the rest of UUCPnet, but the idea is the same for the MMDF
nodes).

>the Internet via UUCP.  (I've got my domain name server set up to
>recognize systems on a domain called "kronos.com", and I've got SCO
>sendmail configured to relay all mail addressed to external domains
>to a given system on the LAN that knows how to pass it along to
>the world-wide Internet.)

This is very trivial to do with MMDF as well.  Phone SCO support and ask
for the fax-pack which describes configuring SCO MMDF in a TCP/IP
environment (it's also been posted to this newsgroup at least once).

--
David J. Fiander
SCO MMDF Development Team

David.Fiander@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (David Fiander) (05/28/91)

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (05/28/91)

In <1991May27.143614.7239@sco.COM> david@sco.COM (David Fiander) writes:

>MMDF is only better that sendmail in one (very important) way:  normal
>human beings can understand how to configure it in about 15 minutes, and
>can read the configuration files without having the manual beside them.
>Aside from that, MMDF and Sendmail solve basically the same problem in
>basically the same way.

Don't undersell it :-) Blatant MMDF plug. It also supports authorisation by
channel. This is useful if you have "free" links and "paying" links or you
happen to have a few international modem links that you don't want people
to use as gateways. As you say the real advantage is human-readable
configs. There also seem to be fewer buggy versions around.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (05/28/91)

A followup: via e-mail, a couple of people told me how to fix sendmail
to work properly under SCO Unix.  This is a bug in the Unix system itself,
and can be corrected by substituting the following in /etc/tcp:

In place of

	/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h ; echo "sendmail \c"

use
	su root -c "/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h" ; echo "sendmail \c"

Though sendmail is shipped configured to setuid to root, this is not
sufficient.  Doing the above fixed my problem.

Regarding mmdf, I turned it off by simply typing "chmod -x /usr/mmdf/bin/
deliver", rather than deinstalling it.  I'll revisit mmdf as soon as
SCO ships the version which supports domain name service.

It's amusing running into mmdf again.  It was written at the U. of Delaware
at the time I was a student there, but I was not involved with it.  I
was instead hacking RDMAIL, a program written in SAIL, for the DEC-10.

I disagree that mmdf configuration can be figured out in "15 minutes".
It's quite complex, requiring 56 pages in the administrator's guide, and
needs every last detail specifically mentioned in its config files.  I
would suggest to our mmdf person at SCO that much more needs to be done
to it than mere addition of domain name server support, if you want
Average Joe to be able to configure it in 15 minutes.  (Admittedly, it
took me a month of posting _Help!_ messages on USENET before I figured out
sendmail...mmdf isn't _that_ bad.)  That 56-page manual section needs
rewriting, too, in order to explicitly spell out SMTP support; it got
me _quite_ confused, because it never says anywhere that one _cannot_
run sendmail and mmdf together; indeed it seems like one _needs_ to
run sendmail in order to talk SMTP, which isn't the case.

-rich

Tim.Wright@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Tim Wright) (05/29/91)

Rich.Braun@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Rich Braun) (05/29/91)

chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) (05/29/91)

In article <675397058.24@sunbrk.FidoNet>
	Rich.Braun@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Rich Braun) writes:
>I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's documentation implies that
>mmdf is superior and one should dump sendmail instead.

SCO MMDF is quite usable - though the way it's distributed and the
documentation (or lack thereof) might lead you to believe otherwise.
To get the system happy, you absolutely need to do two things:

    - Run `/usr/mmdf/bin/checkup' and heed it's advice.  And if you
      reconfigure `mmdftailor', run `checkup' again.

    - Get the documentation posted in two parts to the net (several
      times!) on how to setup SCO MMDF.  Part two is chock full of
      examples of how to do it in a networked environment.

>"How can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?"

You need to enable the `MCHN smtp' line in the `mmdftailor' file.
It is probably also a good idea to edit `/etc/rc2.d/S86mmdf' to
run `deliver' on the smtp channel.  (SCO 3.2v0.0 didn't even start
deliver - so first thing to do would be to create this file.
Better yet, upgrade to 3.2v2.0.)

>and my second is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

Yes, that is a drag.  Although I use a static hosts table, it would
be nice if SCO MMDF did a gethostbyname() instead of making me retype
`/etc/hosts' into `/usr/mmdf/table/smtp.chn'.

>I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
>based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
>so on)

I've run an ODT box connected into a network consisting of an NCR
Tower, a 3B2, and an ISC box.  (Hi Bill!)  All were running smail3.1,
not sendmail, but the point is that SCO MMDF is an upright network
citizen.

--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play that
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.

david@sco.COM (David Fiander) (05/29/91)

In article <7665@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I disagree that mmdf configuration can be figured out in "15 minutes".
>It's quite complex, requiring 56 pages in the administrator's guide, and
>needs every last detail specifically mentioned in its config files.  I
>would suggest to our mmdf person at SCO that much more needs to be done
>to it than mere addition of domain name server support, if you want
>Average Joe to be able to configure it in 15 minutes.  (Admittedly, it

The 56 pages of (not very good) documentation in the system admin guide go
into a lot of gory detail which is not required by most simple
configurations.  I explained the basic theory of MMDF configuration to my
manager in about 15 minutes.  Now, he probably wouldn't be able to
configure mmdf without help, but he could look at the existing mmdf
configuration and figure out what was happening to his mail and why, and
he would also be able to _maintain_ the existing configuration.  This is
the most important part.  One only needs to be an MMDF guru to generate a
configuration from scratch (if then).  Once one has a running mail
system, maintaining it in the face of changing connections and user
community is basically a no-brainer (since one of our Computing Services
people left last month, our MMDF configuration has been running on
auto-pilot with no real maintenance being done, aside from the cron job
which cleans the log files).

--
David J. Fiander
SCO MMDF Development Team

rvdp@sow.econ.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) (05/30/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>If I reboot my SCO Unix system, incoming SMTP mail gets put into the
>queue (deferred, I think due to a host-name lookup failure) and not
>ever unqueued.  If I kill the sendmail daemon and restart it, the
>queue gets emptied out properly to the appropriate users' mailboxes.

You have to run MMDF's deliver daemon instead of the sendmail daemon.

>SCO ships the system with mmdf, and there may be an interaction problem
>with the mmdfdeliver daemon which is always there sitting in the
>background.  I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's
>documentation implies that mmdf is superior and one should dump
>sendmail instead.  If mmdf is superior, then my first question is "How
>can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?" and my second
>is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

It (like sendmail) talks to an SMTP daemon at the other side (port 25).
Because SCO (like always) installed an old version (and did it wrong too!).
MMDF supports DNS!
I find MMDF much easier to configure than sendmail. You should get the
official MMDF documentation though!! Don't rely on SCO.

>I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
>based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
>so on), using a sendmail daemon on a non-SCO system to relay mail to
>the Internet via UUCP.  (I've got my domain name server set up to
>recognize systems on a domain called "kronos.com", and I've got SCO
>sendmail configured to relay all mail addressed to external domains
>to a given system on the LAN that knows how to pass it along to
>the world-wide Internet.)

We run SCO with MMDF and all our mail goes to an IBM-RT with sendmail.
No problems at all (besides working with PC's :-).

--
Ronald van der Pol
rvdp@sow.econ.vu.nl

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (05/30/91)

-
- I've run an ODT box connected into a network consisting of an NCR
- Tower, a 3B2, and an ISC box.  (Hi Bill!)  All were running smail3.1,
- not sendmail, but the point is that SCO MMDF is an upright network
- citizen.

When we recently installed on ODT 1.1 system (Unix 3.2v2 as the OS base),
we didn't even install the MAIL package.  Instead, we simply mounted
/usr/local from another SCO Unix machine which already had smail3.1 and
elm installed under that heirarchy.  Then we told smail to look for a
second "config" file in /etc/config.smail, which could then be tailored
to the needs of the ODT box.  To satisfy programs which expect a "mail"
program to exist somewhere, I copied the mail binary, and the /usr/lib/mail
directory (well, not the whole thing, but the parts I knew were needed)
off the other Unix machine.  Whole thing works great.

If you're installing on the only SCO machine available, try this:
- install MAIL package
- save the mail binary, and /usr/lib/mail directory
- remove the MAIL package
- install smail3.1 and elm
- copy what you saved earlier back
- install the execmail replacement (part of the smail3.1 package)

There are probably other ways to use smail3.1 and elm without using any
of SCO's MAIL stuff, and still have a "mail" binary around (I don't think
elm can completely replace mail), but this is what I've had success with.
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651