[comp.unix.sysv386] Hardware Flow Control/Max speed of stock async ports

steve@hacker.uucp (Stephen M. Youndt) (05/20/91)

Thanks to the following people who sent me replys on my "Modem Control"
question:

  Dave Goodman   .   .   .   .   .    __|__    .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
  daveg@misty.sara.fl.us .   . --o--o--(_)--o--o-- .   ....uunet!misty!daveg

  John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

  uunet!nightowl.MN.ORG!det (Derek E. Terveer)
  det@nightowl.mn.org

  Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
  742 1/2 North Hayworth Avenue Hollywood CA 90046-7142 voice (213) 653-4495

Thanks a lot.  I got useful information from all of you even though I completely
bungled the question.  What I really wanted to know about is "Hardware Flow
Control," and related to that what is the maximum speed of a stock async port
on Esix Rev D.  What I really need to know is do I need an intelligent serial
card to properly use a TB2500 (which I have not yet purchased).  I also hope
to use SLIP, so you can be sure I'll be asking many more questions in the
future.

If anyone out there can give me some clues about turning on h/w flow control,
what I need in order to use a TB at high speeds, and how to configure/use SLIP
(with news, mail, etc), or any other helpful hints, I'd appreciate it greatly.
Oh, please, keep in mind that I'm not much of a Unix person.  I'm a VAX/VMS
hacker by trade.  Thanks in advance.

SMY
--
Stephen M. Youndt   / "Every heart, when sifted well, is a clot of warmer
uunet!hacker!steve /   dust, Mix'd with cunning sparks of hell." -- Tennyson

steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) (05/31/91)

In article <675518012.41@sunbrk.FidoNet> Stephen.M..Youndt@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:

>Thanks to the following people who sent me replys on my "Modem Control"
>question:

> * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

Where the heck did this come from???  I posted this message weeks ago, and
not from that system.  Me thinks something strange is happening on sunbrk.

Anyway, my question has been answered many times over in the last few weeks.
Thanks to all of you who replied.

 uunet!misty.sara.fl.us!daveg (Dave Goodman)
 uunet!jwt!john (John Temples)
 uunet!bongo.info.com!julian (Julian Macassey)
 -Jeff Ellis <uunet!ics.uci.edu!everex!jde%zardoz.uucp>
 uunet!nuchat.sccsi.com!steve (Steve Nuchia)
 uunet!bongo.info.com!julian (Julian Macassey)

And special thanks to

 uunet!nightowl.MN.ORG!det (Derek E. Terveer)
	who suggested I get fas2.08 and even supplied it to me when I couldn't
find it on uunet.

Thanks again to all of you.

SMY
--
Stephen M. Youndt   / "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."
uunet!hacker!steve /          -- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure