[comp.unix.sysv386] Problems with CTS/RTS and ISC 2.2

karln%karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) (05/30/91)

Greetings All,

    I recently helped someone, and will be doing it for my system,
install a modem for dialin on a:

386 - 40. 8 megs.
SVGA
Bustek SCSI card.
Serial and Parallel on some kinda card.
Telebit T2500
Interactive ISC 2.2

  I finally got everything working the way I wanted it.
Looks good. Dials in and out and everybody is happy

   BUT: (There is a but) I had to resort to XON/XOFF
flow control between the modem and the computer. I had
set it up for CTS/RTS, but when the modem drops CTS, the
computer keeps right on sending chars. So I put it
back to XON/XOFF and for the most part it works fine.

  SO: What happened to CTS/RTS. I pretty much figured
this should be working right off the git-go, but no way hose'!

  I had sort of a break out box that helped me to watch the control
lines, so this is how I finally decided that the CTS/RTS flow
control was not working.

  IF: Anybody has any ideas or experience with this, please
drop me a line. I will need to get CTS/RTS working and I
know a lot of you all out there have ISC, probably with
modems. I will be glad to summarize any responses I get.
Thanks in advance.

	Karl Nicholas
	karln%karln@uunet.uu.net
	karln!karln@uunet.uu.net
	uunet!karln!karln
	---------------------------- Try one, try em all. Have fun.

| Karl Nicholas             | A recent Gallop Poll showed that 1 in 6 |
| karln%karln@uunet.uu.net  | Americans have spoken to a dead person. |

root@chamber.in-berlin.de (Patrick Wendt) (05/31/91)

karln%karln@uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:

>   BUT: (There is a but) I had to resort to XON/XOFF
>flow control between the modem and the computer. I had
>set it up for CTS/RTS, but when the modem drops CTS, the
>computer keeps right on sending chars. So I put it
>back to XON/XOFF and for the most part it works fine.

>  SO: What happened to CTS/RTS. I pretty much figured
>this should be working right off the git-go, but no way hose'!

>  I had sort of a break out box that helped me to watch the control
>lines, so this is how I finally decided that the CTS/RTS flow
>control was not working.

>  IF: Anybody has any ideas or experience with this, please
>drop me a line. I will need to get CTS/RTS working and I
>know a lot of you all out there have ISC, probably with
>modems. I will be glad to summarize any responses I get.
>Thanks in advance.

As you told nothing about the serial driver you use, I expect it's the
buildin ASY-Driver from ISC. - This drivers always had problems with
hardware handshake, or, simply not supporting it.

Use the FAS 2.0.8 - serial driver from Uwe Doering. It should be avail-
able one any of your local district machines or simply via FTP on every
'bigger' ftp-site. - FAS also supports the NS16550ASN - serial chip
(which has a FIFO-buffer inside), which is highly recomended to use
with a highspeed modem. - FAS works quite fine on my system (ISC 2.0.2),
and also should do with 2.2 ... it surely supports full hardware
handshake and is varibable configurable. Forget about the ASY :-)

  Greetings ... Pat !

 -  Patrick Wendt  |   root@chamber.in-berlin.de |  Zombies Burial Chamber  -
 - - - - - - - - - | pwendt@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de |     UNIX SysV 386/33     -
 - Berlin, Germany | pwendt@bitcave.in-berlin.de | Love hurts without blood -