[comp.unix.sysv386] VP/ix screws up console

briant@tsltor.uucp (Brian Taylor) (05/30/91)

I have a peculiar problem with VP/ix.  I'm running version 2.2.1 (but this
has happened ever since I put 2.2 on the new machine).  When I run VP/ix from
any of the sessions on the console (i.e., not a pseudo-tty or serial line),
VP/ix fires up just fine, but as soon as I type 'quit' to return to UNIX,
the entire monitor turns a mottled-pattern of gray and is illegible.  Going
back into VP/ix clears up the screen, but coming out still leaves it screwed
up.  Note also that it's screwed up on all the vt??s and console after only
ONE of the sessions (thus I believe it's playing with the VGA card or similar
trick).

Any illumination on the source of and remedy for this problem is greatly
appreciated.

Salut

Brian
--
Brian Taylor					briant@tsltor.uucp
UNIX Systems Administrator			(...jtsv16!tsltor!briant)

andyb@stb.info.com (Andy B.) (06/01/91)

briant@tsltor.uucp (Brian Taylor) writes:
> I have a peculiar problem with VP/ix.  I'm running version 2.2.1 (but this
> has happened ever since I put 2.2 on the new machine).  When I run VP/ix from
> any of the sessions on the console (i.e., not a pseudo-tty or serial line),
> VP/ix fires up just fine, but as soon as I type 'quit' to return to UNIX,
> the entire monitor turns a mottled-pattern of gray and is illegible.  Going
> back into VP/ix clears up the screen, but coming out still leaves it screwed
> up.  Note also that it's screwed up on all the vt??s and console after only
> ONE of the sessions (thus I believe it's playing with the VGA card or similar
> trick).

I don't know if it's true for all video cards, but in order to get
color on my screen, I had to comment out the references to EGA
and VGA in the vpix.cnf file.  If that's not the problem, I
don't have any other answers.  Hope it works!

Andy
--
If it's not broken...your girlfriend will get bored with it anyway.