[comp.unix.sysv386] DOS partition with Unix

jimmyc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) (05/31/91)

I was told I can have only 30M hard disk dedicated to pure DOS if it wants
to co-exist with ISC Unix.  Is it true?
Can I have bigger DOS disk if I use a second physical hard disk?
Is the limitation similar under SCO Unix as well?

And is it true that ISC supports upto 16M of RAM only?

Is there a number I can call to ask ISC questions?  It has been over 30
days since I bought the product and I seem to be on my own in this
wonderland.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
James Choi

raj@netcom.COM (Roger Lee) (05/31/91)

jimmyc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) writes:

>I was told I can have only 30M hard disk dedicated to pure DOS if it wants
>to co-exist with ISC Unix.  Is it true?
>Can I have bigger DOS disk if I use a second physical hard disk?
>Is the limitation similar under SCO Unix as well?

I can't answer specifically for ISC Unix, but under both ESIX and SCO Xenix,
I've been able to run a dos partition of any size. HOWEVER, if you want to
copy or otherwise access the dos partition, you must keep it under 32 megs.
I am presently running Esix 5.3.2 with a 32 meg DOS 5.0 partition on a
150 MB ESDI drive, and I have a 330 MB SCSI drive with all DOS

--
raj@netcom.com No fancy sigs or legal disclaimers apply.

rcbarn@rw7.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (06/03/91)

raj@netcom.COM (Roger Lee) writes:
>jimmyc@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) writes:
>>I was told I can have only 30M hard disk dedicated to pure DOS if it wants
>>to co-exist with ISC Unix.  Is it true?

Depends on what you mean: If you want to be able to use this partition
under VP/ix, it's true, as VP/ix can't handle DOS extended partitions.
However, if you just want to use your native DOS partition under native
DOS, there is no reason I know of why you couldn't use as much DOS extended
partitions as you want.

>>Can I have bigger DOS disk if I use a second physical hard disk?

In my system, disk 0 has a very small 'boot-from' DOS partition, and
disk 1 has a 33MB partion, available to DOS and VP/ix as drive D:

>I am presently running Esix 5.3.2 with a 32 meg DOS 5.0 partition ...

I use DOS 3.3, among other reasons because VP/ix uses 3.3 as it came.

-Raymond

--
| Raymond X.T. Nijssen  | Eindhoven Univ. of Technology                       |
| raymond@es.ele.tue.nl | EH 7.13, PO 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands |