[comp.unix.sysv386] UHC, Esix, ISC, SCO, which ?

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (05/28/91)

I appologise for posting what is probably a high noise level
message but I would really like some real feedback on this topic.

I have been looking for a 386 system to run UNIX on and thought that
the hardest decision would be the hardware, silly me, it turned out
to be to operating system.

Looking through the magazines etc I see there are no less than
four major 386 UNIX products (sorry if I missed yours) :

	- UHC
   - Esix
   - Interactive ISC
   - SCO

Trying to get a little educated I read up some more and found that
SVR4 was available right now only on UHC, Esix, and ISC.
As well I seem to see a lot of problem questions appearing for SCO
(this just may mean that a lot of people use it though ;-).

All of UHC, Esix, and ISC seem to offer the basic things I am after,
that being full development including X11R4 and Motif.  Price wise
though Esix seems a lot cheaper than the other two, out of which
ISC seems marginally cheaper than UHC.

The only nice to have missing from Esix seems to be a DOS emulation
product like VP/ix or DOSMerge which I believe is present in the
other two (not enough to change my mind though).

So I have sort of decided on Esix and have found an Australian
distributor for it (have not for the other two).

Can anyone enlighten me to any major differences I have missed
between these products, I am looking for something which may
indicate that the extra cost for one of the other two is justified.

PLEASE EMAIL unless you really think others may be interested,
I don't want to start a religious war.

PS. I'll summarise if at least one person asks me to.

Regards
--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Nigel Harwood  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<< Post:  Coles Myer Ltd, PO Box 2000 Tooronga 3146, Australia     >>

Nigel.Harwood@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Nigel Harwood) (05/28/91)

[...]

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) (05/29/91)

(News error re-posted, apologies if you got it already)

jjp@necis.UUCP (Jeff Phillips) (05/31/91)

In article <1260@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
   > [...]
   >I have been looking for a 386 system to run UNIX on and thought that
   >the hardest decision would be the hardware, silly me, it turned out
   >to be to operating system.
   > [...]
   >So I have sort of decided on Esix and have found an Australian
   >distributor for it (have not for the other two).
   >
   >Can anyone enlighten me to any major differences [...]
I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
is true?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@ Jeffrey J. Phillips				UUCP: jjp@necis.nec.com   @@
@@ NEC Technologies, Inc.			PHONE: (508)635-6077	  @@
@@          "UNIX isn't a philosophy, it's a way of life" - anon          @@
@@ CASUAL DISCLAIMER: Opinions are mine - definitely not corporate policy @@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

richard@xanth.b11.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) (05/31/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP>, jjp@necis.UUCP (Jeff Phillips) writes:
|> In article <1260@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
|>    > [...]
|>    >I have been looking for a 386 system to run UNIX on and thought that
|>    >the hardest decision would be the hardware, silly me, it turned out
|>    >to be to operating system.
|>    > [...]
|>    >So I have sort of decided on Esix and have found an Australian
|>    >distributor for it (have not for the other two).
|>    >
|>    >Can anyone enlighten me to any major differences [...]
|> I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
|> If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
|> is true?

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!  You may be hard pressed to find someone running ESIX on an Everex platform.  I use a noname 386 clone and have never had any complaints with ESIX.

--
Richard A. Griffiths              ...uunet!ingr!b11!xanth!richard   (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.                  richard@b11.ingr.com          (Internet)

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) (06/01/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

Esix is most-definitely NOT restricted to Everex platforms.

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us	The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill       bill@unixland

In article <1991May31.143443.8597@infonode.ingr.com> richard@xanth.b11.ingr.com writes:

>ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!  You may be hard pressed to find someone running ESIX on an Everex platform.  I use a noname 386 clone and have never had any complaints with ESIX.

Well, I know of at least one person running ESIX R4 on an Everex platform :-)

Kevin, you out there?

--

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (06/03/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

>@@ Jeffrey J. Phillips				UUCP: jjp@necis.nec.com   @@

No.  ESIX runs on the average clone.

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (06/04/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

No,No,No..... Esix in NOT for just Everex computers. That is why it is
called Esix System V, not Everex System V.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde