[comp.unix.sysv386] AT&T sys V R 4. and 1542B

NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU (05/22/91)

Has anyone gotten AT&T Unix System V R4 to work with an adaptec 1542B
SCSI controller.  If so how. If not, why not.  Does AT&T Expect that no
one owns any other kind of hardware besides AT&T hardware.

          NICK G. POPE (GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY)
OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY - TECHNICAL SUPPORT - IBM SUPPORT DEPT.
** THE VEIWS PRESENTED HERE ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT REFLECT THAT OF OIT **

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (05/22/91)

In article <91141.163751NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU> NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU writes:
>Has anyone gotten AT&T Unix System V R4 to work with an adaptec 1542B
>SCSI controller.  If so how. If not, why not.  Does AT&T Expect that no
>one owns any other kind of hardware besides AT&T hardware.

	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.  They do
	not sell their UNIX seperately, and supplies no drivers for
	anything other than their hardware, i.e., tape drives, disk
	drives, ethernet cards, etc.  If you have AT&T UNIX, then you
	have AT&T hardware.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

tin@smsc.sony.com (Le Tin) (05/23/91)

In article <91141.163751NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU> NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU writes:
>Has anyone gotten AT&T Unix System V R4 to work with an adaptec 1542B
>SCSI controller.  If so how. If not, why not.  Does AT&T Expect that no
>one owns any other kind of hardware besides AT&T hardware.

Yes.  I used the driver that came with it.  It is a version that I don't
believe anyone other than AT&T source licensees have, SVR4 v3.0 and v4.0
Both v3.0 and v4.0 works with the 1542B just fine.  The card is
connected to a 486/33 (and also tested with a 386/20) - non-AT&T machine.

These machines were used to compile SVR4.  I can't really say much more
about the code, since our source license restricts me from disclosing
information.

I have a Dell machine here (the 486/33) running Dell SVR4 v2.01 but it is
using ESDI.  The 1542B was tested in the machine and Dell SVR4 didn't have
any problem recognizing the board and using it.  We are thinking of obtaining
the new Adaptec 1740 to use since the Dell box is EISA bus.  The current
driver is only for a 1542A (at least the driver source stated as such).  It
will need to be rewritten for the 1740, otherwise I assume I could use the
1740 in 1542B emulation mode.

-- Tin Le

--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------
. Tin Le                    Work Internet: tin@smsc.Sony.COM

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/23/91)

=
=	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.  They do
=	not sell their UNIX seperately, and supplies no drivers for
=	anything other than their hardware, i.e., tape drives, disk
=	drives, ethernet cards, etc.  If you have AT&T UNIX, then you
=	have AT&T hardware.

But their VARs may indeed sell AT&T UNIX alone or with clones, supplying
drivers for whatever peripheral devices they sell.  I'm buying UNIX
alone from a VAR in Philly, and when we bought our 386/33 from a
(terrible) NJ VAR, we also bought a WangDAT with a driver the VAR
supplied (don't know where *it* came from) and a Consensys HD controller
with a driver from Consensys.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.142018.506@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.
>
>But their VARs may indeed sell AT&T UNIX alone or with clones, supplying
>drivers for whatever peripheral devices they sell.
>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College

	And what do you do when you want to add something?  Such as
	a second disk controller (not supported), or a multiport
	board.  If they are not AT&T (and they don't have much),
	they are not supported.  You cannot get support for your
	UNIX if it is not running on an AT&T box with AT&T hardware.
	And most VARS know less about the system than you do.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.141223.271@chinet.chi.il.us> randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
=In article <1991May23.142018.506@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>=	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.
=>
=>But their VARs may indeed sell AT&T UNIX alone or with clones, supplying
=>drivers for whatever peripheral devices they sell.
=>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
=
=	And what do you do when you want to add something?  Such as
=	a second disk controller (not supported),

Well, I'd ask a lot of questions on USENET (OK for a college but not so
hot for a commercial enterprise).  :-)

=	or a multiport board.

I did add a couple of Equinox boards and their support has been good.

=	If they are not AT&T (and they don't have much),
=	they are not supported.  You cannot get support for your
=	UNIX if it is not running on an AT&T box with AT&T hardware.

From AT&T, you mean?  I *am* getting AT&T support for AT&T UNIX running
on an AT&T 386 which has a WangDAT, a Consensys HD controller and a
couple of Equinox multiports.  But I'm about to purchase another system
with a clone as a file server and AT&T has not yet said that they would
not support it.  The account rep said she'd like not to lose the sale of
a server, though.

=	And most VARS know less about the system than you do.

And considering that "I am but an egg," that ain't saying much about the
VARs!

But actually, I agree with you.  I would have liked to avoid buying this
new LAN from AT&T but no one locally is willing to do a TCP/IP
installation for me and no one has come up with a suggestion on an MSDOS
mail program a la Word Perfect Office for the MSDOS clients (they're the
only clients on a proposed UNIX server), so it looks like I'm going win
LM/X and AT&T!  :-(

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
FAX: 609-586-6944            1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     TCF 92 - April ??-??, 1992

In article <1991May25.132814.4876@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>From AT&T, you mean?  I *am* getting AT&T support for AT&T UNIX running
>on an AT&T 386 which has a WangDAT, a Consensys HD controller and a
>couple of Equinox multiports.  But I'm about to purchase another system
>with a clone as a file server and AT&T has not yet said that they would
>not support it.  The account rep said she'd like not to lose the sale of
>a server, though.

My experience is that when you call AT&T support, you need the serial
number from one of their boxes.  As long as you know the quirks of
your AT&T box and the clone and don't ask about things that are
different you should be able to wing it.

>But actually, I agree with you.  I would have liked to avoid buying this
>new LAN from AT&T but no one locally is willing to do a TCP/IP
>installation for me and no one has come up with a suggestion on an MSDOS
>mail program a la Word Perfect Office for the MSDOS clients (they're the
>only clients on a proposed UNIX server), so it looks like I'm going win
>LM/X and AT&T!  :-(

That should run on top of TCP/IP if you want, but the only advantage would
be to connect to other machines running TCP/IP.  If you've already got
a starlan net, the LM/X should drop right in and you should be able to
put in 10base-T for the new stuff and bridge it to the old 1M starlan if
you want to keep any of it.  I'm not sure if it's worth changing the
cards in a slow PC - they probably can't load even the 1M net.  PMX-Starmail
isn't bad as a DOS mail interface if you toss the "enhanced" unix mail
transport that comes with it and replace it with something like smail3
(it needs to handle binary attachments).  If mail under DOS is important,
you can also set up dial-up connections that look just like the lan
stations but you need a different set of products (Access Plus and
pmxpc).  It's possible to run Access Plus over starlan using the naucom
driver if you only want to have one package, but the driver takes some
additional memory.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.165851.10315@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
=In article <1991May25.132814.4876@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=
=>From AT&T, you mean?  I *am* getting AT&T support for AT&T UNIX running
=>on an AT&T 386 which has a WangDAT, a Consensys HD controller and a
=>couple of Equinox multiports.  But I'm about to purchase another system
=>with a clone as a file server and AT&T has not yet said that they would
=>not support it.  The account rep said she'd like not to lose the sale of
=>a server, though.
=
=My experience is that when you call AT&T support, you need the serial
=number from one of their boxes.

Unless your account exec intervenes.  :-)

[...]

Never heard of Access Plus or pmxpc, but that's not the point.  Because
of AT&T's insistence on having one of their computers, I'm trying to
wean the College away from AT&T towards vendors that will support their
software and/or hardware, almost regardless of server hardware.  I don't
expect Dell, for example, to troubleshoot my system if I run Dell's UNIX
and something goes wrong, but I do expect them to talk to me just
because I bought *something* from them.  As you point out, AT&T will not
talk to you unless you can produce a computer serial number, even if
your problem lies somewhere else.

I wonder if that will change when NCR takes over the computer business.

Pete

--

Pete.Holsberg@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Pete Holsberg) (05/28/91)

[...]

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

bdt@cookie.bae.bellcore.com (Drew Turock) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May22.131919.404@chinet.chi.il.us>, randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:
>In article <91141.163751NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU> NPOPE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU writes:
>>Has anyone gotten AT&T Unix System V R4 to work with an adaptec 1542B
>>SCSI controller.  If so how. If not, why not.  Does AT&T Expect that no
>>one owns any other kind of hardware besides AT&T hardware.
>
>	AT&T supports ONLY their hardware under their UNIX.  They do
>	not sell their UNIX seperately, and supplies no drivers for
>	anything other than their hardware, i.e., tape drives, disk
>	drives, ethernet cards, etc.  If you have AT&T UNIX, then you
>	have AT&T hardware.
>
>--
>Randy Suess
>randy@chinet.chi.il.us

A friend of mine recently bought a Northgate (386) with the
Adaptec 1542B.   He thought that AT&T UNIX was the way to go
but (after it was paid for) found that this configuration wouldn't work.
AT&T told him that the only SCSI board the AT&T OS will support
is the Weston Digital 7000.  Otherwise you are S.O.L.  (Sh*t Outta Luck)

He then bought SCO which he is happy with....

He's still looking for someone who wants to buy an AT&T Unix/386
operating system and development package real cheap if anyone
wants it....
Drew Turock                                               Bellcore,
bellcore!bae!bdt                                          Piscataway, NJ

zfgo01@hgo7.hou.amoco.com (F. G. Oakes) (06/01/91)

I guess I don't understand the fuss since I wouldn't expect GM to support their
transmission on a Ford.

dpr@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Dave Romig) (06/04/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

[previous discussion deleted]
>Never heard of Access Plus or pmxpc, but that's not the point.  Because
>of AT&T's insistence on having one of their computers, I'm trying to
>wean the College away from AT&T towards vendors that will support their
>software and/or hardware, almost regardless of server hardware.  I don't
>expect Dell, for example, to troubleshoot my system if I run Dell's UNIX
>and something goes wrong, but I do expect them to talk to me just
>because I bought *something* from them.  As you point out, AT&T will not
>talk to you unless you can produce a computer serial number, even if
>your problem lies somewhere else.

We currently have AT&T SysVr4v2.0, Dell SysVr4v2.1 and MicroPort SysVr4v2.2.
Testing the various support groups has yielded exactly the fears you expressed.
AT&T and Dell like to speak only of their own boxes.  outside of that, they
like to take the money for the original sale of software, but when it comes
to getting support, they acquire temporary amnesia.

MicroPort, however, has been a pleasure to work with regarding support.  We
try to be very specific and provide a "clean" bug report.  We are running
their SysVr4v2.2 on a Tangent 486/33 EISA, 32MB RAM with BusTek 742, 1.4GB
disk and both DAT and QIC150/250 tapes.  Tangent and Microport were a great
help getting dual protocol stacks running (OSI/Starlan + TCP/IP) over a
mixture of AT&T and Western Digital boards.  Neither vendor supplied any
of the network hardware.  Both vendors take a realistic approach to the
support job.  If we can reproduce the problem, we will try to solve it.
In return, we try to help them isolate the problem to a specific area that
they can easily reproduce.

>I wonder if that will change when NCR takes over the computer business.

Unlikely ... we've been VAR's for both long enough to suffer through both
organization's support teams.  Both vendors have support problems and
good support is the exception, not the rule.
David P.  Romig                 INTERNET: tcsc@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
The Computer Solution Co.         USENET: ...!tcsc3b2!tcsc
831 Grove Road                CompuServe: 74116,2345
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716          UUCP: tcsc3b2!tcsc (804)794-1514