[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC 2.2.1 Ethernet/networking induced panics?

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) (05/27/91)

I have an AMI 486/33 system (8 MHz bus) running ISC 2.2.1 that seems to panic
whenever I talk to it using its WD8003E card. The panic doesn't always
happen immediately, but usually within an hour or so. I'm pretty sure the
basic hardware is solid, as I ran the system for a week with 4 "makes" going
and a couple of "ls -lR"s and "find"s going to really load the system. During
the testing, I was at run level 3 (networking up), but no ethernet activity.

However, when I tried to use the PC-Interface remote drive from a DOS
machine to add some more load, the system paniced (trap D) within 15 minutes.
I rebooted, but left the system idle, and tried the PC-Interface drive again.
I paniced in 30 minutes.

Thinking it might be PC-Interface (if it has a kernel portion) I tried
plain old TCP/IP. I telneted into my machine, and did an endless "ls -lR"
loop. The machine stayed up for about an hour until I did a "netstat -i",
whereupon it promptly paniced (trap E).

The trap address is never consistent. In fact I once trapped in the kernel's
bss area. I usually get a trap D or trap E.

I believe my system is up-to-date, including the NT00001 network drivers.
I'm not sure where to look for trouble. I believe the WD8003E uses a shared
memory area to communicate with the O/S, so there should be no DMA glitches
to hammer me. I am running with a 1542B, but in the week long load test,
there were no problems there. This same problem occurs on an AMI 486/25
motherboard (using the same controllers/drives, etc), so unless its a
generic AMI problem (which I kind of doubt), I don't think it's my mother-
board.

Any suggestions? WD8003 swapout? 1542B swapout? Buy a RISC box?

Rich
--
brennan@merk.com	...!uunet!merk!brennan		Rich Brennan

In article <4102@merk.UUCP> brennan@merk.com ( I ) writes:

>Thinking it might be PC-Interface (if it has a kernel portion) I tried
>plain old TCP/IP. I telneted into my machine, and did an endless "ls -lR"
>loop. The machine stayed up for about an hour until I did a "netstat -i",
>whereupon it promptly paniced (trap E).

A little update here. It seems that "netstat -i" *always* panics my system
(at the same kernel address), so it looks like I have two separate problems.
I may back out the network update at this point, because "netstat -i" worked
before I installed the update.

Rich
--
brennan@merk.com	...!uunet!merk!brennan		Rich Brennan

dpr@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Dave Romig) (06/04/91)

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:

>I have an AMI 486/33 system (8 MHz bus) running ISC 2.2.1 that seems to panic
>whenever I talk to it using its WD8003E card. The panic doesn't always
>happen immediately, but usually within an hour or so. I'm pretty sure the
>basic hardware is solid, as I ran the system for a week with 4 "makes" going
>and a couple of "ls -lR"s and "find"s going to really load the system. During
>the testing, I was at run level 3 (networking up), but no ethernet activity.

[other detail deleted]

>The trap address is never consistent. In fact I once trapped in the kernel's
>bss area. I usually get a trap D or trap E.

>Any suggestions? WD8003 swapout? 1542B swapout? Buy a RISC box?

We had the identical problem on a Mylex 486/33 EISA system from Tangent
Computer.  We tried AT&T and Dell Unix SysVr4 and neither we nor their
technical support groups could (or would) find anything (not my box attitude).
Microport and Tangent Computer got together and found a buggy Western Digital
driver.  Microport has a replacement driver downloadable from their tech
support bulletin board.  Perhaps you can get a repaired driver from ISC, too.
David P.  Romig                 INTERNET: tcsc@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
The Computer Solution Co.         USENET: ...!tcsc3b2!tcsc
831 Grove Road                CompuServe: 74116,2345
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716          UUCP: tcsc3b2!tcsc (804)794-1514

nealpo@ism.isc.com (Neal Pollack) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun4.005537.23987@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com> dpr@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Dave Romig) writes:
>brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:
>
>>I have an AMI 486/33 system (8 MHz bus) running ISC 2.2.1 that seems to panic
>>whenever I talk to it using its WD8003E card. The panic doesn't always
>>happen immediately, but usually within an hour or so. I'm pretty sure the
>[other detail deleted]
>
>>The trap address is never consistent. In fact I once trapped in the kernel's
>>bss area. I usually get a trap D or trap E.
>
>>Any suggestions? WD8003 swapout? 1542B swapout? Buy a RISC box?

I am not from support, but want to clarify that the above problems
are being addressed.  There is a new release in beta test that
addresses several  fixes for panics and socket connection problems.
I am not sure about the details on release date, or on a patch diskette.

Please send mail to support@ism.isc.com to inquire if a patch diskette
is in the works, or what the release date of TCP version 1.3 is.

Sincerely,

Postmaster@ism.isc.com
.