[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX and use of tty01

rho@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Raymond Ho) (05/28/91)

Hi,

	I'm using ESIX System V release 3.2 Rev. D. and it is a
2-user version. I could not get tty01 (2nd serial port) working.
I got tty00 working as terminal and I got tty00 working as a mouse port
too, but not tty01. I would like to use tty01 and hook it up with a
terminal.

	Is it because of the 2-user version that it doesn't allow
more than 1 tty?? What is the solution if I want to connect 4 terminals
and at any one time, no more than 2 user are going to log in. So I guess
it won;t violate the license.

	Thanks very much for any help.

							Ray

Raymond.Ho@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Raymond Ho) (05/28/91)

Hi,

	I'm using ESIX System V release 3.2 Rev. D. and it is a
2-user version. I could not get tty01 (2nd serial port) working.
I got tty00 working as terminal and I got tty00 working as a mouse port
too, but not tty01. I would like to use tty01 and hook it up with a
terminal.

	Is it because of the 2-user version that it doesn't allow
more than 1 tty?? What is the solution if I want to connect 4 terminals
and at any one time, no more than 2 user are going to log in. So I guess
it won;t violate the license.

	Thanks very much for any help.

							Ray

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (05/30/91)

In article <28419548.5550@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> rho@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Raymond Ho) writes:
>	I'm using ESIX System V release 3.2 Rev. D. and it is a
>2-user version. I could not get tty01 (2nd serial port) working.
>I got tty00 working as terminal and I got tty00 working as a mouse port
>too, but not tty01. I would like to use tty01 and hook it up with a
>terminal.

You should run "initasy" to fully configure the ports, by default the
second serial port is turned off.

>	Is it because of the 2-user version that it doesn't allow
>more than 1 tty?? What is the solution if I want to connect 4 terminals
>and at any one time, no more than 2 user are going to log in. So I guess
>it won;t violate the license.

Well..... you can have four terminals, but only one can have a login at a
time. The 2 user version goes like this: As many logins as you want on the
console + 1 out side login (terminal, modem, tcp/ip).

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde

dts@peanut.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (05/31/91)

I think someone might want to audit the ESIX prompts and messages before
shipping the product. The following warning comes up when starting initasy:

WARNING:  This program only allow youto keep the PREVIOUS asy setup
          but the ORIGINAL one. (ex. space.c save as .space.sv)

Now I'm sure the engineer who wrote this is a fine engineer, but it is
important to have someone with FULL control of the english language
verify anything which will be displayed as text to the user.

I must say I'm not entirely sure what the warning really means. Some copy
of space.c will be saved off, I suspect, but the wording of the "sentence"
makes it difficult to know which...

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: uunet!lectroid!peanut!dts
Daniel Senie Consulting    ARPA: peanut!dts@lectroid.sw.stratus.com

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (06/06/91)

In article <21@peanut.UUCP> dts@peanut.UUCP (Daniel Senie) writes:
>WARNING:  This program only allow youto keep the PREVIOUS asy setup
>          but the ORIGINAL one. (ex. space.c save as .space.sv)
>
>I must say I'm not entirely sure what the warning really means. Some copy
>of space.c will be saved off, I suspect, but the wording of the "sentence"
>makes it difficult to know which...

What happens is it makes one backup of the space.c, so if you run it again
it will overwrite the saved version.

--

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (06/08/91)

dts@peanut.UUCP (Daniel Senie) writes:

>I think someone might want to audit the ESIX prompts and messages before
>shipping the product. The following warning comes up when starting initasy:

>WARNING:  This program only allow youto keep the PREVIOUS asy setup
>          but the ORIGINAL one. (ex. space.c save as .space.sv)

>Now I'm sure the engineer who wrote this is a fine engineer, but it is
>important to have someone with FULL control of the english language
>verify anything which will be displayed as text to the user.

This warning message is similar in its grasp of the English language as
many other comments and messages scattered throught the Esix dist-
ribution.
I would agree with you; it is a rather simple change and makes for a
much cleaner looking product.

derek
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG -- U of MN Women's Lax
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need