[comp.unix.sysv386] Getting process names from sockets

glenn8@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Glenn Stowe) (06/08/91)

We are running 386/ix with Berkley extensions (sockets, etc.) and would like
to be able to determine, given an active socket number or PCB, what processes
are connected by that socket. Fstat and Ofiles will do this on SunOS or Bsd
but the facility desn't seem to be there for SysV. Does anybody have any ideas?
-----
Glenn Stowe
glenn8@odie.cs.mun.ca

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.184121.29105@garfield.cs.mun.ca>, glenn8@garfield.cs.mun.ca (Glenn Stowe) writes:
> We are running 386/ix with Berkley extensions (sockets, etc.) and would like
> to be able to determine, given an active socket number or PCB, what processes
> are connected by that socket. Fstat and Ofiles will do this on SunOS or Bsd
>but the facility desn't seem to be there for SysV. Does anybody have any ideas?

At least one workstation vendor shipping SVR3 with 4.3BSD-tahoe TCP/IP has
extended the SV fuser command for just this purpose.  A "path" of the form
'port/protocol' or 'hostname:port:protocol' which does specify a valid file
is understood to be a request to list processes with the sockets connected
to the specified port.  'Port' must be an integer constant, and 'protocol'
must be either TCP or UDP.  'Hostname' must be a IP number or hostname, and
is used to specify individual connections.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@calcite.uucp