[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC X11 1.2, Logitech serial mouse, FAS 2.08 combo?

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (06/08/91)

I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.
--
Richard Krehbiel, private citizen      ckp@grebyn.com
(Who needs a fancy .signature?)

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (06/08/91)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.

Switch your mouse to Mouse Systems mode and tell your programs that
you have a Mouse Systems mouse. That should work.

BTW, I still don't know what special tricks the Logitech mouse driver
is doing that don't work with FAS. If anyone found out what's going
on I'd like to hear about it.

      Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de
Berlin       |----------------------------------------------------------------

ralph@swmerc.rain.com (Ralph Merwin) (06/09/91)

In article <TQORKNQ@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>
>>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
>>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
>>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
>>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
>>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.
>
>Switch your mouse to Mouse Systems mode and tell your programs that
>you have a Mouse Systems mouse. That should work.
>
>BTW, I still don't know what special tricks the Logitech mouse driver
>is doing that don't work with FAS. If anyone found out what's going
>on I'd like to hear about it.

I use a Logitech Trackman with FAS208, on a *non-FIFO* port, with Roell's
X386 server.  Works like a champ!  The problem may be trying to use a mouse
on a FIFO-based port.  I remember that the ISC server didn't like the
Trackman, not sure why.

Ralph
Ralph Merwin - Merwin Software Services      ralph@swmerc.rain.com
6782 SW 162nd Drive, Beaverton, OR  97007    72170.151@compuserve.com
(503) 642-0256

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/10/91)

In <TQORKNQ@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:

>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

:>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
:>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
:>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
:>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
:>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.

:Switch your mouse to Mouse Systems mode and tell your programs that
:you have a Mouse Systems mouse. That should work.

:BTW, I still don't know what special tricks the Logitech mouse driver
:is doing that don't work with FAS. If anyone found out what's going
:on I'd like to hear about it.

Having just spent all afternoon Friday trying to get a new
Logitech trackball running under Xenix 2.3.3 and VP/IX 1.2 with
no luck I read ``Welcome to comp.unix.sysv386'' and what should
be the last item?
	31.	Why doesn't my brand spanking new Logitech mouse work?

The answer (from Conor P Cahill uunet!virtech!cpcahil):
	``This is caused by the fact that Logitech (in their infinite
	wisdom) changed from emulating a Mouse Systems mouse to
	emulating a Microsoft mouse.  So if you want to use one of
	the new mice, configure it as a Microsoft mouse.

	NOTE:  If you are using an older Logitech mouse and sometimes
	have problems getting ISC's X to communicate with it,
	reconfigure it as a Mouse Systems mouse and all your problems
	will go away.''

I haven't tried this yet, but will in the morning when I go back
to the client site.  I HOPE LIKE HELL IT WORKS!

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (06/11/91)

In article <1078@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
>In <TQORKNQ@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>
>>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>
>:>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
>:>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
>:>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
>:>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
>:>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.

>	31.	Why doesn't my brand spanking new Logitech mouse work?
>
>The answer (from Conor P Cahill uunet!virtech!cpcahil):
>	[Mouseman and Trackman just don't work. ]

I knew this.  I have a Logitech P9 mouse.  (I haven't yet tried Mouse
Systems mode, but I will shortly. I have re-confirmed that the mouse
does work via ISC's own asy device, but it does not work with FAS 2.08,
even when I force FIFO mode off.)
--

keith@dinosaur.lonestar.org (Keith Cantrell) (06/11/91)

In article <TQORKNQ@geminix.in-berlin.de> gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>
>>I'm sure I've seen the topic arise before, but it's been a while, and
>>I wasn't concerned about the answer at the time so I didn't pay
>>attention...   However, I'm now trying to get the Logitech serial mouse
>>working through FAS 2.08 for ISC X11R3 1.2.  Oh, and yes I have
>>NS16550A's in there.  Thanks.
>
>Switch your mouse to Mouse Systems mode and tell your programs that
>you have a Mouse Systems mouse. That should work.
>
>BTW, I still don't know what special tricks the Logitech mouse driver
>is doing that don't work with FAS. If anyone found out what's going
>on I'd like to hear about it.

Hmm, I never tried that, but I can tell you when I first went to version 1.2
from version 1.0 and had FAS 2.08 driving my mouse it would lock up the
display where the only recovery was to push the BIG RED BUTTON.  Things seem
to work fine with just allowing the standard asy driver drive the mouse.
But of course there is nothing that will drive my Telebit like FAS will. :-)

Please let me know if there is a way to allow FAS to drive a Logitech mouse
model # CC-93-9F so I can get rid of the asy driver once and for all.

Type at you later,

Keith

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
                                           wk: 214-699-2509
USMAIL:                          EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                   keith@dinosaur.lonestar.org
Carrollton TX 75007                           or
                                ...!uunet!digi!dinosaur!keith