[comp.unix.sysv386] AMI Bios Configuration

tvf1477@cs.rit.edu (Thomas V Frauenhofer;902;icsg6) (06/11/91)

I have a 386sx system that has AMI bios.  I cannot figure out how to
reclaim the memory from 640K-1024K for use as extended memory (it is
reserved somehow for shadowing).  Could some kind soul please tell
me how to configure the Bios to let me use this memory?

Thanks in advance.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW
	tvf1477@ma.cs.rit.edu or tvf@sun01.cci.com

tvf@cci632.cci.com (Tom Frauenhofer) (06/12/91)

In article <2368@cs.rit.edu> tvf1477@cs.rit.edu (Thomas V Frauenhofer;902;icsg6) writes:
>I have a 386sx system that has AMI bios.  I cannot figure out how to
>reclaim the memory from 640K-1024K for use as extended memory (it is
>reserved somehow for shadowing).  Could some kind soul please tell
>me how to configure the Bios to let me use this memory?

Due to some of the e-mail I have received, let me restate the question:

I have a 386sx system that uses AMI's bios.  I have been playing
with the setup program for the past month trying to figure out how
to reclaim the memory between 640K and 1024K for use as extended memory.
I am looking for a solution as to how to either (a) reclaim the memory
to use as extended memory or (b) re-map some portion of the memory so
that I can have the whole 2 meg available to run Unix in.  I understand
shadow ram, I just don't need it.

If I cannot, but some other vendor's bios would allow me to do this, well,
that would be okay, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again, thanks in advance.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW, tvf@cci.com   | SPAM is a register trademark
{uupsi,ccicpg}!cci632!tvf@uunet.uu.net       |  of a pork product packed