[comp.unix.sysv386] Need help in buying tape drive

seth@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Madison MadMan Miles) (06/13/91)

Hello, It's me again. The guy who bought UNIX from DELL and found out
that I had to have a tape drive to get it. I need some advice on
which drive to get. The tape that I have is a 1/4" cartridge that is
a DC6150 tape. It is formatted at 150 megs. I need to know of the
cheapest tape drive that I can get to read it. Yes I have a Computer
Shopper but I don't know which one to get. Dell wants $799 for theirs,
but I know that I can do better than that. Any advice or specific ads
will be greatly appreciated.
If you have one and live near Purdue, I would love to borrow one.
Thanx in advance.

				Madison Miles
				seth@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

larry@zztop.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/13/91)

seth@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Madison MadMan Miles) writes:

>a DC6150 tape. It is formatted at 150 megs. I need to know of the
>cheapest tape drive that I can get to read it. Yes I have a Computer
>Shopper but I don't know which one to get. Dell wants $799 for theirs,
>but I know that I can do better than that. Any advice or specific ads
>will be greatly appreciated.

799 isn't bad - the drive we use on our boxes are Archives 2150S
--
Larry Snyder
larry@zztop.rn.com

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/15/91)

>>a DC6150 tape. It is formatted at 150 megs. I need to know of the
>>cheapest tape drive that I can get to read it. Yes I have a Computer
>>Shopper but I don't know which one to get. Dell wants $799 for theirs,
>>but I know that I can do better than that. Any advice or specific ads
>>will be greatly appreciated.
>
>799 isn't bad - the drive we use on our boxes are Archives 2150S

There was a discussion about tape drives in this group some months back.
I seem to recall some indication that the Wangtek drives were preferable.

They supposedly have better heads and handle the DC6250 (250 meg) tapes
more reliably.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com