[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX Mailing List

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/01/90)

There has been a fair amount of interest lately in an Esix-specific
mailing list.  Although this sysv386 newsgroup provides a good forum
for discussing Esix topics, it sometimes requires wading through lots
of talk about other products.  In order to provide a forum for quick
interaction among Esix users, I have created a mailing list dedicated
to Esix talk.

The pertinent addresses are as follows:

For posting messages to the mailing list:

esixlist%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

For administrative matters (additions, deletions, etc):

esixlist_admin%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

This is my first attempt at moderating a mailing list.  I am using
smail to do the routing.  If you're familiar with mailing list administration,
and can advise me on how to keep "undeliverable" mail from circulating back
out into the mailing list distribution, please let me know.  Thanks!

Let me know if you have any problems using the list.

Bill

--
** REPLIES FAIL - To reply, mail directly to one of the addresses show below **
home:  ...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/02/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>For posting messages to the mailing list:
>esixlist%unixland.uucp@world.std.com
>For administrative matters (additions, deletions, etc):
>esixlist_admin%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

>This is my first attempt at moderating a mailing list.  I am using
>smail to do the routing.

Maybe it would be wise to register your site in the UUCP domain
(or any domain) first before starting a mailing list.

I cannot reach these adresses from here.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/03/90)

From: Pim Zandbergen:
Maybe it would be wise to register your site in the UUCP domain
(or any domain) first before starting a mailing list.

I cannot reach these adresses from here.
-----------

My registration should show up in the maps any day now.  I registered
last month, and am expecting (was expecting) that my entry would show
up in the October maps (I think around the first of October.

In any case, how about the following addresses:

uunet!world!unixland!esixlist   # for posting to the list

uunet!world!unixland!esixlist_admin   # for admin stuff.

Sorry, I should have posted these bang paths before.

Bill

--

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (10/04/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>>From: Pim Zandbergen:
>>Maybe it would be wise to register your site in the UUCP domain
>>(or any domain) first before starting a mailing list.
>>I cannot reach these adresses from here.

>My registration should show up in the maps any day now.  I registered
>last month, and am expecting (was expecting) that my entry would show
>up in the October maps (I think around the first of October.

>In any case, how about the following addresses:
>uunet!world!unixland!esixlist   # for posting to the list
>uunet!world!unixland!esixlist_admin   # for admin stuff.

That does not work either. mcsun.eu.net, the EUnet backbone,
will ALWAYS route, no matter what kind of addressing you use.

In other words, if mcsun.eu.net does not know you, you are
effectively cut off of EUnet sites.

Please let us know when your registration has come through (we don't
get comp.mail.maps in Europe either).
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/04/90)

Based on a suggestion someone made, I am changing the name of the alias
used for the adminstrative matters connected with the Esix mailing list.

The address to use for administrative matters is either:

esixlist-request%unixland.uucp@world.std.com
or
uunet!world!unixland!esixlist-request

The addresses for posting to the list remain as follows:

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/05/90)

-------
That does not work either. mcsun.eu.net, the EUnet backbone,
will ALWAYS route, no matter what kind of addressing you use.

In other words, if mcsun.eu.net does not know you, you are
effectively cut off of EUnet sites.
------

Hopefully the map entry will show up soon, so this whole thing will be
solved. :-)

bill

--
** REPLIES FAIL - To reply, mail directly to one of the addresses show below **
home:  ...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
       bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com
work:  heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) (12/30/90)

unixland bounced my message.
Is there still an Esix mailing list?
If so where, and how do I get onto it?
--
Robert den Hartog    {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	      "You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.064930.2532@rden> rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) writes:

>Some time ago I saw mention of an esix mailing list but I didn't follow it up
>at that time.  I just tried esixlist_admin%unixland.uucp@world.std.com but
>unixland bounced my message.
>Is there still an Esix mailing list?
>If so where, and how do I get onto it?

I'm posting this rather than e-mailing since it may be of general interest.

I host the Esix mailing list on my system.  If you send a message to
esixlist-request@unixland.uucp or esixlist_admin@unixland.uucp, it should
work.  If not, send e-mail to bill@unixland.uucp.

If you still have that bounced message lying around, I'd like to take
a look at the headers.

Bill Heiser

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (01/07/91)

This message is an update to information previously posted regarding
"esixlist", a mailing list for those interested in "Esix", a SYSVR3 Unix
Operating System for 80x86 computers.  Since this list is maintained at
personal time and expense, please follow these guidelines when subscribing
to, or posting to, the list.  Please remember that this is a private
undertaking for the purpose of benefitting all of us using the Esix OS,
and I have no affiliation with Esix or Everex.

- Please use local distribution aliases whenever possible, and be sure to
  keep them up-to-date.  This helps reduce my traffic (and costs).

- When subscribing to the list, please provide a KNOWN GOOD PATH to your
  site.  Subscription correspondence is processed by a human, and I need
  to know how to get esixlist mail back to you.  Due to a recent rash of
  bounced mail (costing me needless expense), I am forced to implement the
  following policy:  The FIRST occurence of bounced mail destined to your
  site will result in your name being DELETED from the list.

- Please notify me ASAP when you expect your address, account name, path,
  etc to change.

The addresses for the list are as follows:

Subscription correspondence, comments, suggestions, etc:
    esixlist-request@unixland.uucp
    uunet!world!unixland!esixlist-request
    bill@unixland.uucp
    uunet!world!unixland!bill

Submissions to the list:
    esixlist@unixland.uucp
    uunet!world!unixland!esixlist

Please note that I am planning to change my hostname (to something shorter).
I will post a message before this occurs.

If anyone is familiar with the management of a mailing list, and has
any working solutions for dealing with bounced mail (to keep it from
getting bounced to everyone on the list), please let me know.  Thanks.

Bill Heiser
The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3
508-655-3848(12/24)  508-651-8723(12/24/96-HST)  508-651-8733(12/24/96-PEP-V32)
other:	heiser@world.std.com

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) (06/15/91)

06/15/91

Greetings!

This message is an update to information previously posted regarding
"esixlist", a mailing list for those using "ESIX", a SYSVR3 Unix
Operating System for 80x86 computers (discussions pertaining to the
new ESIX SYSVR4 product are also welcome).  Since this list is maintained on
personal time and expense, please follow these guidelines when subscribing
to, or posting to, the list.  Please remember that this is a private
undertaking for the purpose of benefitting all of us using the ESIX OS,
and I have no affiliation with ESIX or Everex.

When subscribing to the list, please follow the following guidelines.

- Internet style addresses are Good.

- If you don't have an "internet style address", please provide a KNOWN GOOD
  PATH to your site.  Subscription correspondence is processed by a human, and
  I need to know how to get esixlist mail back to you.  Due to a recent rash of
  bounced mail, I am forced to implement the following policy:  The FIRST
  occurence of bounced mail destined to your site will result in your name
  being DELETED from the list.

- Please notify me ASAP when you expect your address, account name, path,
  etc to change.

The addresses for the list are as follows:

Subscription correspondence, comments, suggestions, etc:

(in order of decreasing preference)

    esixlist-request@unixland.natick.ma.us
    or
    think!unixland!esixlist-request
    or
    uunet!world!unixland!esixlist-request
    or
    uunet!world!unixland!bill
    or
    think!unixland!bill

Submissions to the list:

    esixlist@unixland.natick.ma.us

Volunteers wanted!

If anyone is familiar with the management of a mailing list, and has
any working solutions for dealing with bounced mail (to keep it from
getting bounced to everyone on the list), please let me know.  I am
running the list on a 386 machine running ESIX (of course :-), and am
using smail 3.1.18 as the transport agent.  Thanks.

Bill Heiser
The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us     ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill