[comp.unix.sysv386] MFM/RLL Disk Driver for ISC or ESIX?

mdm@cocktrice.uucp (06/10/91)

Does anyone have a disk driver which would provide support for MFM/RLL drives
attached to a second controller? I have spare equipment available which would
be nice to use.

Thank you for any information.
--
Mike Mitchell		                          Email: mdm@cocktrice.uucp
2020 Calle Lorca #43	                          Phone: (505) 471-7639 H

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/11/91)

mdm@cocktrice.uucp writes:
>Does anyone have a disk driver which would provide support for MFM/RLL drives
>attached to a second controller? I have spare equipment available which would
>be nice to use.
>
>Thank you for any information.

The driver should work as is under ESIX.  Under ISC, all you need to do is do
a kconfig and select the option to configure the high performance disk driver.
Next, rebuild the kernel, and there you have your disk driver configured for a
secondary controller.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

daniel@cis.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.121605.11455@crash.cts.com>, jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
|> mdm@cocktrice.uucp writes:
|> >Does anyone have a disk driver which would provide support for MFM/RLL drives
|> >attached to a second controller?
|>
|> The driver should work as is ....
|>
|>      // JCA

The problem is that it's virtually impossible to find an MFM/RLL controller
that can use a secondary IRQ. They all seem to be hardwired for 14 (or is it 15,)
unlike the ESDI controllers which are often jumper selectable. One way around
it is to mess with the second controllers edge connector, but this is kind of
messy. If anybody knows of an MFM/RLL controller that is jumper selectable to
IRQ 15, would they care to post that information?
--
---
Daniel Edelson                 |  ``Recycle your garbage. Please don't

dalego@itx.isc.com (Dale Gogates) (06/12/91)

In article <16938@darkstar.ucsc.edu> daniel@cis.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:

>|> The driver should work as is ....
>
>The problem is that it's virtually impossible to find an MFM/RLL controller
>that can use a secondary IRQ. They all seem to be hardwired for 14 (or is it 15,)
>unlike the ESDI controllers which are often jumper selectable. One way around
>it is to mess with the second controllers edge connector, but this is kind of
>messy. If anybody knows of an MFM/RLL controller that is jumper selectable to
>IRQ 15, would they care to post that information?

STB, Richardson TX has an MFM controller that lets you change the INT to
15.  I had to buy one last week, it also has 32K cache, mail order prices
< $100.
They also have RLL and IDE controllers, but I have not first hand experience
with them.
--
---------------------------------------|-------------------------------------
Dale                                   | standard  disclaimers apply

jtsillas@sprite.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) (06/12/91)

Edelson) writes:

   The problem is that it's virtually impossible to find an MFM/RLL
   controller that can use a secondary IRQ. They all seem to be
   hardwired for 14 (or is it 15,) unlike the ESDI controllers which
   are often jumper selectable. One way around it is to mess with the
   second controllers edge connector, but this is kind of messy. If
   anybody knows of an MFM/RLL controller that is jumper selectable to
   IRQ 15, would they care to post that information?

I believe the Adaptec RLL controller is configurable for IRQ15. I managed
to "adapt" my WD RLL using the above mentioned surgery. I can make the
suggestion that if you do this. Do NOT use the on board BIOS rotines to
format: these routines are not aware that the IRQ has changed and will
format you primary! Also, disable the BIOS and set the I/O port to the
secondary address. The following posting gives some additional info:

> Hello, a friend of mine forwarded me a news posting
> in which you indicate that you got a WD1006 to interrupt
> on IRQ 15. Can you please tell me how you did this?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Edelson
> daniel@cis.ucsc.edu

Very easy.  All I did was a little surgery on the card.  What you have
to do is to cut the trace on the 7th finger of the 16 bit extension on
the solder side of the card.  (see enclosed figure).  Scrape off a
little of the covering over the upper portion of the trace so you can
solder a small wire to it.  IRQ 15 is the connection that is 1 finger
to the front of the finger you just cut.  All I did was on my mother
board the sockets had room for the connectors to expand and I inserted
the small wire there.  When the card is inserted the contact pinches
the wire between it and the side of the connector.

-----|-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 B   |									       |
 R   |									       |
 A   |									       |
 C   |									       |
 E   |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |									       |
     |-------|                             |---| | | | | | | | | | | | | |------
     |       |                             |   | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
     |       |-----------------------------|   |--------------------------
                                                           ^ IRQ 15
                                                             ^ IRQ 14

The sketch is rough at best.  Just remember to work on the SOLDER side
of the card (components down) and be carefule with the solder gun.

Jim

*** Please note that I make no warranties of any kind about doing this.
    All I can say is that it works for me.
--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com

jtsillas@sprite.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) (06/12/91)

Ooops, I forgot to mention the critical need to configure your HPDD in kconfig
for two AT style controller. Do this before anything and rebuild/reinstall
the kernel. You will not be able to get to the second controller if this
is not done.

-Jim.
--
 == James Tsillas                    Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
 == (508) 294-2937                   300 Concord Road   826A          ==

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.121605.11455@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>mdm@cocktrice.uucp writes:
>>Does anyone have a disk driver which would provide support for MFM/RLL drives
>>attached to a second controller? I have spare equipment available which would
>>be nice to use.
>>
>>Thank you for any information.
>
>The driver should work as is under ESIX.
                                    ^^^^

How?  I've looked at the entries in the kernel config files, and tried
adding an entry for the second controller to /etc/conf/sdevice.d/hd, but
when I run idbuild, it says "Only one specification of device 'hd'
allowed".

If its possible to use a second MFM controller with Esix I'd like to know
how to do it --- I have a second controller I modified when I was using
a Xenix system.

David
 David Dawes (dawes@physics.su.oz.au)    DoD#210      | Phone: +61 2 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia   | Fax:   +61 2 660 2903

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/13/91)

daniel@cis.ucsc.edu (Daniel Edelson) writes:

>|> The driver should work as is ....
>
>The problem is that it's virtually impossible to find an MFM/RLL controller
>that can use a secondary IRQ. They all seem to be hardwired for 14 (or is it 15,)
>unlike the ESDI controllers which are often jumper selectable. One way around
>it is to mess with the second controllers edge connector, but this is kind of
>messy. If anybody knows of an MFM/RLL controller that is jumper selectable to
>IRQ 15, would they care to post that information?

What most of us do is take a WD1003 or WD1006 clone and solder a jumper wire
to the motherboard at IRQ 15.  The disk driver as is does NOT support shared
interrupts in any way, shape or form.  You need to get the controller at
a different IRQ and the secondary port address.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.121605.11455@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>mdm@cocktrice.uucp writes:
>>>Does anyone have a disk driver which would provide support for MFM/RLL drives
>>>attached to a second controller? I have spare equipment available which would
>>>be nice to use.
>>>
>>>Thank you for any information.
>>
>>The driver should work as is under ESIX.
>                                    ^^^^
>
>How?  I've looked at the entries in the kernel config files, and tried
>adding an entry for the second controller to /etc/conf/sdevice.d/hd, but
>when I run idbuild, it says "Only one specification of device 'hd'
>allowed".
>
>If its possible to use a second MFM controller with Esix I'd like to know
>how to do it --- I have a second controller I modified when I was using
>a Xenix system.

I have no experience with ESIX.  Since it is all derived from AT&T code, I am
making a reasonable assumption that the kernel configuration process would be
similiar.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

wiese@forwiss.uni-passau.de (Joachim Wiese) (06/13/91)

In article <JTSILLAS.91Jun12083731@sprite.ma30.bull.com>, jtsillas@sprite.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) writes:

|> I believe the Adaptec RLL controller is configurable for IRQ15.

Thats right. I have an Adaptec ACB-2370 RLL controller that can be
jumperd for IRQ15. But still I can't get it running as a second controller.
I dont have the specifications for the Jumpers.( just of ACB-2372 )

I tried:

J13  2-3  - IRQ15
J14  2-3  - bios address CC00
J13  1    - secondary io port  ( I am not shure with this one )

The first controller is an Ultrastore ESDI Controller.

Both controllers work fine if I set up RLL first( IRQ14,io port 1,c800)
 and ESDI second ( IRQ15 , io port 2 ,CC00 ); but this is not wat i nead,
UNIX is on  the ESDI HD and neads io-port 1 etc.

If someone has the ACB-2370 description please send me the jumper settings.

Or can I get ISC running on the second controller ESDI HD ?

Thanks in advance.

--
--------  O   Joachim Wiese - \O/  ---------------------------   O  ---------
-------- /!\  Uni. Passau----  !   wiese@forwiss.uni-passau.de  /!\ ---------

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.121605.11455@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>The driver should work as is under ESIX.  Under ISC, all you need to do is do
>a kconfig and select the option to configure the high performance disk driver.
>Next, rebuild the kernel, and there you have your disk driver configured for a
>secondary controller.

Well not with Esix.... the only controller that our driver supports as a
second controller is SCSI.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/16/91)

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis() writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.121605.11455@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>The driver should work as is under ESIX.  Under ISC, all you need to do is do
>>a kconfig and select the option to configure the high performance disk driver.
>>Next, rebuild the kernel, and there you have your disk driver configured for a
>>secondary controller.
>
>Well not with Esix.... the only controller that our driver supports as a
>second controller is SCSI.

My mistake.  I was pulling from my experiences with ISC and SCO Xenix.

     // JCA

 /*