[comp.unix.sysv386] help with isc 3.2

phil@lgnp1.ls.com (Phil Eschallier) (06/15/91)

hello,

i am looking for a few, hopefully simple, answers to some question about
the isc 3.2 (2.1) package.

i recently purchased isc workstation developer (2 user) package ... i
installed it on my machine and came up with few problems.  like i said,
this is isc's workstation developer with 10 or so ssu disks (including
the security fixes).  here are my questions:

	1. when trying to configure a serial port for bi-directional
	   modem usage, i kept getting "INIT respawning too rapidly".
	   yet the exact same config works under ms-dos and xenix --
	   am i doing something wrong??  if i install fas 2.08, will
	   the problem be solved??  i was able to use the lines to
	   call out on but incoming calls just didn't want to work.

	2. can nfs be run on a machine without a network card??  i installed
	   nfs because i wanted to have vp/ix and one of the screens says
	   that nfs much be installed before vp/ix (and lord knows i don't
	   want to have to re-install all those disk!) ... but no matter
	   what i did, when i went to run level 3, lockd would say that
	   lgnp1 was an unknown host (lgnp1 is the nodename here).  i tracked
	   this to statd but didn't know how to fix it.  is this a config-
	   uration error or can nfs not exist with out a network card??

	3. is isc's sendmail worth anything??  when invoked it would just
	   hang, even when trying use the test mode (sendmail -bt) ...
	   i plan to replace the sendmail with sendmail 5.65b+IDA but i'd
	   like to be able to get the machine up and running for a few
	   days and not be under the gun to replace software.  i am sure
	   a number of folks out there will say "just get smail 3.1" but
	   i would like to use sendmail -- just my preference.

i have RTFM'ed and i am very familiar with unix -- the problem is that i
cannot afford to have the system down for any extend amount of time ... i
could have probably worked out some of this questions if i had time to play
(or should i say experiment).  one note, i am NOT a tcp/ip or nfs guru,
please try to take that into account if you are kind enough to try to help
me out!!

e-mail prefered.

many thanx in advance!!

phil

--
Phil Eschallier     |  E-Mail to:                    US Mail to:
                    |   INET: phil@ls.com             248B Union Street
Lagniappe Systems   |   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil    Doylestown, PA  18901
Computer Services   |    CIS: 71076,1576              VOICE: +1 215 348 9721

phil@lgnp1.ls.com (Phil Eschallier) writes:

>i am looking for a few, hopefully simple, answers to some question about
>the isc 3.2 (2.1) package.

You should read the FAQ posting for this group. If you don't have a copy
lying around, let me know and I willl send you one.

>	1. when trying to configure a serial port for bi-directional
>	   modem usage, i kept getting "INIT respawning too rapidly".

Answered in the FAQ.

>	3. is isc's sendmail worth anything??  when invoked it would just
>	   hang, even when trying use the test mode (sendmail -bt) ...
>	   i plan to replace the sendmail with sendmail 5.65b+IDA but i'd
>	   like to be able to get the machine up and running for a few
>	   days and not be under the gun to replace software.  i am sure
>	   a number of folks out there will say "just get smail 3.1" but
>	   i would like to use sendmail -- just my preference.

we use sendmail with no problems on our system.  The only things we
did to get it working (if I remember correctly - we did this 2 years
ago) was some minor changes to the sendmail.cf file and (this is the
tricky part) copy /usr/lib/sendmail to /bin/rmail (a link would have
sufficed, but /usr is a different filesystem).

Here is the diffs to our sendmail.cf.  Note that I did not spend much
time on this other than to get it working, so there may be some
changes that were unnecessary, or vice-versa.  One thing that I
know that doesn't work is that if we send email to user@host it doesn't
get forwarded to uunet for resolution.   One day I may get time
to play with it.

*** /usr/lib/sendmail.cf.or	Fri Aug  4 16:38:39 1989
--- /usr/lib/sendmail.cf	Wed Dec 12 11:23:39 1990
***************
*** 31,37 ****
  # it will will be turned into $D.
  # HOSTNAME needs to be modified for each site (if there is no ethernet).

! Dwunix
  DDUUCP
  CDLOCAL local uucp

--- 31,37 ----
  # it will will be turned into $D.
  # HOSTNAME needs to be modified for each site (if there is no ethernet).

! Dwvirtech
  DDUUCP
  CDLOCAL local uucp

***************
*** 57,63 ****
  # addresses which didn't resolve locally.

  # R is used as the ethernet relay host, S
! DRrelay

  #
  #  End Local configuration options
--- 57,65 ----
  # addresses which didn't resolve locally.

  # R is used as the ethernet relay host, S
! # DRrelay
! #changed by scum on 12/12/90
! DRuunet

  #
  #  End Local configuration options
***************
*** 257,264 ****
  # remove these if you just want general disposition.  HINTS.

  # Designated delivery:
! R$*<@$=U.UUX>$*		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			known uucphost
! R$*<@$=U$+.UUX>$*	$#uux$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known uucphost
  R$*<@$=E$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known etherhost
  R$*<@$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$3		etherhost

--- 259,266 ----

! R$*<@$=U.UUX>$*		$#smail$@$2$:$1$3			known uucphost
! R$*<@$=U$+.UUX>$*	$#smail$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known uucphost
  R$*<@$=E$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$4		known etherhost
  R$*<@$+.ETHER>$*	$#ether$@$2$:$1@$2$3		etherhost

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.223443.9297@lgnp1.ls.com> phil@lgnp1.ls.com (Phil Eschallier) writes:

>hello,
>
>i am looking for a few, hopefully simple, answers to some question about
>the isc 3.2 (2.1) package.
>

>	1. when trying to configure a serial port for bi-directional
>	   modem usage, i kept getting "INIT respawning too rapidly".

    The biggest reason for this is that the echo command register on
    your modem is on. It should be ATE0, not ATE1. This gets getty all
    kinds of confused. Perhaps the DCD lines and DTR lines could be
    checked as well. If you need more help, e-mail me and I'll see what
    I can do.

>	   am i doing something wrong??  if i install fas 2.08, will
>	   the problem be solved??  i was able to use the lines to
>	   call out on but incoming calls just didn't want to work.
   FAS will help in a couple of ways not particularly related to this
   problem. It should be installed as a matter of fact.

>	2. can nfs be run on a machine without a network card??  i installed
>	   nfs because i wanted to have vp/ix and one of the screens says
>	   that nfs much be installed before vp/ix (and lord knows i don't

    I do not know a lot about this one. I've got vpix installed with NFS
    though. I do have tcp/ip installed however ..

>i have RTFM'ed and i am very familiar with unix -- the problem is that i
>cannot afford to have the system down for any extend amount of time ... i

  I thought you were just getting it running ...

  Hope something here helps ..

| Karl Nicholas             | A million monkeys in a million years    |
| karln!karln@uunet.uu.net  | did write Shakespear, we evolved ...    |

kentkar@shambala.uucp (Kent Karrer) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.223443.9297@lgnp1.ls.com> phil@lgnp1.ls.com (Phil Eschallier) writes:
>i am looking for a few, hopefully simple, answers to some question about
>the isc 3.2 (2.1) package.
>
>i recently purchased isc workstation developer (2 user) package ... i
>installed it on my machine and came up with few problems.  like i said,
>this is isc's workstation developer with 10 or so ssu disks (including
>the security fixes).  here are my questions:
>
>	1. when trying to configure a serial port for bi-directional
>	   modem usage, i kept getting "INIT respawning too rapidly".
>	   yet the exact same config works under ms-dos and xenix --
>	   am i doing something wrong??  if i install fas 2.08, will
>	   the problem be solved??  i was able to use the lines to
>	   call out on but incoming calls just didn't want to work.

I ran into the same problem the first time I installed my ISC software. It's
been quite a while but I recall that the manual addressed this problem
specifically. I applied the fix that the manual suggested and the problem
was cured.

>	3. is isc's sendmail worth anything??  when invoked it would just
>	   hang, even when trying use the test mode (sendmail -bt) ...
>	   i plan to replace the sendmail with sendmail 5.65b+IDA but i'd
>	   like to be able to get the machine up and running for a few
>	   days and not be under the gun to replace software.  i am sure
>	   a number of folks out there will say "just get smail 3.1" but
>	   i would like to use sendmail -- just my preference.

I never could get the sendmail that came with ISC to work correctly. A good
friend eventually provided me with a copy of smail and I have been working
well since.
--
[ A GREAT DEAL OF CHAOS IN THE WORLD occurs because people don't appreciate ]