[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO Unix 3.2.2 ksh seems to hang mmdf->uucp connection

jim@shograf.com (jim morris) (06/19/91)

On a SCO Unix SYSvR3.2
Has anyone else noticed this problem?? I am trying to localize it.

It seems that someone whose login shell is /bin/ksh can cause mmdf/uucp/dialTBIT
to hang. I know it sounds strange, but it appears to be true!!

If I send mail everything works fine.
When another person sends mail it hangs the dialTBIT, or UUCICO or something.
The only difference between us is that he uses ksh as his default shell.

When we changed it back to csh, everythibng seemed to work fine.

The stranger thing is that when this hang occurs, init also hangs!!!

So init 6 has no effect. All logins that require init hang etc.

The system has to be rebooted to recover.

Can anyone else confirm this observation, or has anyone else noticed ksh
really screwing up SCO unix?? including init.

Has anyone seen init screw up so that init 6 (or anything) doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

Jim
--
Jim Morris,	E-Mail: jim@shograf.com    Voice: (415) 903-3887
  _

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.235817.3784@shograf.com> jim@shograf.COM (jim morris) writes:
>On a SCO Unix SYSvR3.2
>Has anyone else noticed this problem?? I am trying to localize it.

Yes, and it's been talked about before.

ksh is not causing the problem.  Well, not directly.  What's happening, as
near as I could figure out, is that cu is doing something to the tty device
when it sees any one of a few special characters (intr, eof, or a couple
others, I think).  It's either closing and then reopening, or doing an
ioctl; I don't recall which.  In any event, if you have job control "turned
on" (via a 'set -m', which is automatic in an interactive ksh), the second
cu process gets a SIGTTOU (I believe), and ... stops.

Work around:  do

	set +m ; cu <...> ; set -m

If you have paid SCO for support, call them up and ask if they've got
anything to fix it.  It was common enough that they may have.  (I kinda
cheated... I didn't feel like delving through the source, so I just put in
some signal(SIG_IGN, signo); calls...  Not the proper thing to do, I know,
but it let me do what I wanted to do.)

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."