[comp.unix.sysv386] Roell's X11R4 link problems

karln@uunet.uu.net (06/15/91)

	Greetings All,

   I am having a bit of a problem with my newly installed
X11R4 from Mr. Roell. I've install gcc-1.39 as well as
that seems to be a requirement for writing X programs with
this X11R4 implimentation.

   When compiling/linking any simple X program (xconq, xsperm) I
get link errors:

	cannot find:
	ptsname		(/usr/lib/libX11.a) first referenced.

	plus two others that have "pt" in them, such as unlockpt
	or something. Sorry I'm not as specific as I should be.

As fas as I can tell, it has something to do with STREAMS. I un-installed
and re-installed STREAMS, but to no avail.

     Also, should I be doing anything with the files
/usr/lib/X11/shlib/libX11.4.0 ... etc. Has this anything to
do with anything?

    Any comments at all are helpfull. Thanks in advance.

    Karl.

| Karl Nicholas             | A million monkeys in a million years    |
| karln!karln@uunet.uu.net  | did write Shakespear, we evolved ...    |

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.155549.26115@uunet.uu.net> karln!karln@uunet.uu.net () writes:

>   When compiling/linking any simple X program (xconq, xsperm) I
>get link errors:
>
>	cannot find:
>	ptsname		(/usr/lib/libX11.a) first referenced.
>
>	plus two others that have "pt" in them, such as unlockpt
>	or something.
 [rest deleted...]

This is the second posting of this question this week. Does that make it
'Frequently Asked'?

On ISC (2.0.2 for me), when running X386 (1.1a for me), I need to link in
libinet.a to get the Socket API and -lpt to get the clone devices (for lack
of a better term) API.

In summary: Use the following link libraries in all X programs that use X386
(aka Roell X11R4):

  -lX11 -linet -lpt

Note that the -linet and -lpt must come AFTER -lX11, which of course should
come after -lXm, -lolgx, -lXt or other associated libs.

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb

jay@retix.retix.com (Jay Logue) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun15.155549.26115@uunet.uu.net> karln!karln@uunet.uu.net () writes:
>	Greetings All,
>
>   I am having a bit of a problem with my newly installed
>X11R4 from Mr. Roell. I've install gcc-1.39 as well as
>that seems to be a requirement for writing X programs with
>this X11R4 implimentation.
>
>   When compiling/linking any simple X program (xconq, xsperm) I
>get link errors:
>
>	cannot find:
>	ptsname		(/usr/lib/libX11.a) first referenced.
>
>	plus two others that have "pt" in them, such as unlockpt
>	or something. Sorry I'm not as specific as I should be.
>
>As fas as I can tell, it has something to do with STREAMS. I un-installed
>and re-installed STREAMS, but to no avail.

Do you have -lpt on the link line?

>| Karl Nicholas             | A million monkeys in a million years    |
>| karln!karln@uunet.uu.net  | did write Shakespear, we evolved ...    |

Jay Logue

INGREDIENTS: Jay Logue's personal opinions, cute signature,
physical/electronic addresses, and one or more of the following used
as a filler: assorted quotations, extraneous punctuation, white-space.

CONTAINS NO OFFICIAL EMPLOYER OPINIONS OR POSITIONS.

Not to be taken internally.  If accidentally injested, flush with
generous quantities of Jose Quervo Gold and consult your nearest
bartender immediately.
Retix

USMail: 2644 30th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405-3009 U.S.A
   Tel:	(213) 399-1611
   Fax:	(213) 458-2685
 Telex: 4944307
E-mail:	jay@retix.retix.com
 X.400:	C=US;ADMD=TELEMAIL;PRMD=RETIX;O=OSI ONE;S=LOGUE;G=JAY

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (06/20/91)

>In summary: Use the following link libraries in all X programs that use X386
>(aka Roell X11R4):
>
>  -lX11 -linet -lpt
>
>Note that the -linet and -lpt must come AFTER -lX11, which of course should
>come after -lXm, -lolgx, -lXt or other associated libs.

Does anybody outthere use imake(n) at all ???? This program preprocesses
the Imakefile into a Makefile. This is done base upon some rules and defaults
(look at /usr/lib/X11/config !) And there is a special config-file: at386.cf
You just have to edit it (i.e setting the flags at the begin of the file and
defining your real platform if you're using the X386 binaries. There are some
important flags:

	HasGcc			Whether to use gcc or not (and instead link
				explicitely the gcc-gnulib)

	HasSockets		Use the real (OS-dep) socket-lib(s) or the
				emulation-lib.

All the rest is computed internally. Nice idea, isn't it ?

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
"If all else fails, read the intructions ..."