[comp.unix.sysv386] Strange interaction between tape and networking...

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/19/91)

I am having a strange problem with interaction between TCP/IP
networking software and tape backups. Generally, if the networking
stuff is working, the system will not produce a readable tape
of any length. I can usually get a meg or two to write and read
back, but not always.

I can generate a good tape if I reboot the system and bring it up
to init 2, then run the backup script, then do init 3.

I cannot go boot --> init 3 --> init 2 --> backup; the tape is not
readable.

The problem affects both tar or cpio. With tar, I generally get a
"directory checksum error" on readback; with cpio, sometimes it
will read a few files before giving a "phase error", usually I get:
"cpio: ERROR: This is not a cpio file. Bad magic number.". In all
cases, the write proceed merrily along it's way, acting fine.

The OS is 386/ix 1.0.6, running on a MultiBus system. The TCP/IP
is "TCP Ethernet Support Version-1.0.5", with "LAYERS-Version 1.0.6"
and "Network Connection Facilities-Version 1.0.4". There's got to
be something in the configuration that's hosing this up; I just
can't find it. One user here suggested that there might be a
remote tape server, but I was unable to find anything in the
configuration files concerning it. I have swapped drives, boards
(both CPU and mass storage), and even the chassis. I have moved
a new copy of cpio from another system; nothing has helped. At
the moment, I have to do the reboot --> init 2 --> backup routine
to get a valid tape, which I don't like.

1.0.6 did not come with detailed manuals, and I've gone thru
everything I can find without success. Going to 2.x is not an
option; it's not available for this machine.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help. This
has about driven me up the wall....

Thanks,
--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>I am having a strange problem with interaction between TCP/IP
>networking software and tape backups. Generally, if the networking
>stuff is working, the system will not produce a readable tape
>of any length. I can usually get a meg or two to write and read
>back, but not always.

This sounds like a hardware configuration problem.  You need to check
and ensure that the two cards (network and tape controller) are not
colliding on interrupt or memory address ranges (sounds more like
memory address range).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.125524.13934@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

=>I am having a strange problem with interaction between TCP/IP
=>networking software and tape backups. Generally, if the networking
=>stuff is working, the system will not produce a readable tape
=>of any length. I can usually get a meg or two to write and read
=>back, but not always.

=This sounds like a hardware configuration problem.  You need to check
=and ensure that the two cards (network and tape controller) are not
=colliding on interrupt or memory address ranges (sounds more like
=memory address range).

The tape drive is a SCSI device, driven from the same board (called
an MSP, mass storage processor) as the hard drives and floppy. The
Ethernet board is a Micom/Interlan (now Racal/Interlan) NP-322.
All are jumpered as per specs; I have no other interaction problems.
The system will stay up for weeks without problems. I think if an
interrupt was set wrong or there was a memory conflict, I'd be
having far more problems. Telnet, ftp, etc., all work fine.

As I said initially, strange.