[comp.unix.sysv386] More than 32 serial ports on one board

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (06/12/91)

I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
ports on an ESIX R4 machine. Presently we are looking at the schemes
that have one to four lines coming out of the AT-bus card, each running
to a multiplexer block with 8-24 ports. At least eight ports require
full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.

The boards being considered are:

Equinox Megaplex;

Corollory 8x4;

Digiboard Digichannel PC/16.

I would like to find out if anyone has carried out this kind of
evaluation to date, and how the boards (and their release 4 drivers)
stack up against each other in cost, performance and reliability.

Thank you.
--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
         evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

steve@ecf.toronto.edu (Steve Kotsopoulos) (06/13/91)

In article <28561A25.44D1@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>ports on an ESIX R4 machine. Presently we are looking at the schemes
>that have one to four lines coming out of the AT-bus card, each running
>to a multiplexer block with 8-24 ports. At least eight ports require
>full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.
>
>The boards being considered are:
>Equinox Megaplex;
>Corollory 8x4;
>Digiboard Digichannel PC/16.

You may want to check out the Consensys Powerports/HD.
They have an ad on page 26 of the May 13 Unix Today. Call their 1-800 number.
--
Steve Kotsopoulos                   mail:   steve@ecf.utoronto.ca
Systems Analyst                     bitnet: steve@ecf.UTORONTO.BITNET

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (06/15/91)

In article <28561A25.44D1@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>ports on an ESIX R4 machine.
>...full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.

I just got back from USENIX, and ARNET was showing a board capable of
running 128 serial ports from one PC slot.  You can have up to four such
boards in a machine.  The serial ports are DB-25's, not RJ connectors,
but I believe they have hardware handshake.  All my paperwork on it is
in the back of someone's car, but I can get you some info if you e-mail me.

(Which raises the question, what would you do with 512 serial ports on
a PC running unix?)
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975

bginn@crash.cts.com (Bruce Ginn) (06/16/91)

In <28561A25.44D1@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>ports on an ESIX R4 machine. Presently we are looking at the schemes
>that have one to four lines coming out of the AT-bus card, each running
>to a multiplexer block with 8-24 ports. At least eight ports require
>full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.

>The boards being considered are:

>Equinox Megaplex;
>Corollory 8x4;
>Digiboard Digichannel PC/16.
>stack up against each other in cost, performance and reliability.

I've found that after evaluating all of the above (and then some)
that the Corollary 8x4 solution offers the best *most* reliable
system.  This is for several reasons such as addressability,
the ability to map the memory addresses above 16MB region and just
downright reliable.  Another item that might be of help is if you
are intending to implement pass-thru printing on your system.
Corollary handles it *much* better than anyone else.  (this can save
$$ weve found).

Corollary tipically costs a little more but is worth it! (less grief.)
If you need any more help or have any more questions, please send me
some mail. I would be more than happy to answer them.

Bruce

>Thank you.
You're welcome.

E-mail: ..!crash!bginn
Internet: bginn@crash.cts.com

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (06/16/91)

In article <28561A25.44D1@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>ports on an ESIX R4 machine.
>...full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.

The DigiBoard supports daisy-chaining up to 16 concentrators off each
of the two RS-422 ports on the back of the card.  Each concentrator
has 16 RJ-45 ports on it, which means you can have a maximum of 512
ports.  Drivers are available for SCO Unix, SCO Xenix, and generic
Unix System Vr3.2.  Dunno if SysVr4.0 drivers are available; talk to
DigiComm about it.  (Sorry, don't have contact info; the manuals are
at work.)

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/17/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>Unix System Vr3.2.  Dunno if SysVr4.0 drivers are available; talk to
>DigiComm about it.  (Sorry, don't have contact info; the manuals are

ahh talk to Digiboard - and yes - the SVR4 drivers are available

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

rhealey@digir4.digibd.com (Rob Healey) (06/20/91)

In article <P6NL43w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>The DigiBoard supports daisy-chaining up to 16 concentrators off each
>of the two RS-422 ports on the back of the card.  Each concentrator
>has 16 RJ-45 ports on it, which means you can have a maximum of 512
>ports.  Drivers are available for SCO Unix, SCO Xenix, and generic
>Unix System Vr3.2.  Dunno if SysVr4.0 drivers are available; talk to
>DigiComm about it.  (Sorry, don't have contact info; the manuals are
>at work.)

	For info, call sales at 1-800-344-4273 or 612-943-9020
	and ask for sales. They should be able to provide all the
	info you need on SVR4 and SVR3.2 drivers.

		-Rob
--

Rob Healey                                          rhealey@digibd.com
Digi International (DigiBoard)

darryl@lemuria.MV.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun13.144732.18366@ecf.toronto.edu> steve@ecf.toronto.edu (Steve Kotsopoulos) writes:
>In article <28561A25.44D1@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>>ports on an ESIX R4 machine. Presently we are looking at the schemes
>>that have one to four lines coming out of the AT-bus card, each running
>>to a multiplexer block with 8-24 ports. At least eight ports require
>>full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.
>>
>>The boards being considered are:
>>Equinox Megaplex;
>>Corollory 8x4;
>>Digiboard Digichannel PC/16.
>
>You may want to check out the Consensys Powerports/HD.
>They have an ad on page 26 of the May 13 Unix Today. Call their 1-800 number.
>--

Be careful of Consensys.  I couldn't get the powerport 8 to work on
ISC 2.2.  I didn't think much of there tech support either, all they
could do was bad mouth our hardware and OS.  For what my company spent
on me trying to get this board to work they could have bought 10
Comtrol boards.  Oh well it is their money.

Comtrol on the other hand worked very well.

--
Darryl Wagoner		darryl@lemuria.MV.COM or uunet!virgin!lemuria!darryl
12 Oak Hill Road

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/22/91)

darryl@lemuria.MV.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:

>Comtrol on the other hand worked very well.

I would stay away from Comtrol as well -

they layed off a good portion of the staff - and are going
through some rough times..

Digiboard on the other hand is very stable and solid - and their
boards work rather well

--

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun19.230325.5869@lemuria.MV.COM> darryl@lemuria.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
>Be careful of Consensys.  I couldn't get the powerport 8 to work on
>ISC 2.2.  I didn't think much of there tech support either, all they
>could do was bad mouth our hardware and OS.

For what it is worth, I'm running a powerport 8 on ISC 2.2 (on a compaq
systempro). It is great! With 5 19.2K (4 telebits and a direct link) running,
I see a system load of a few percent (<5), and a user load of 10-20%. Heaps
of idle time. Amazingly easy install, trivial to configure, and works well
without having to reboot every other day. It is also the cheapest multiport
board (>4 ports). I have nothing but good things to say about the company -
delivery was on time, worked right out of the box (no jumpers to change,
nothing to fiddle with to make it work). The documentation is sparse but
adequate. I have not had time to check the powerprint feature, but it
sounds like they did that exactly right too.

All in all, a well done product in my opinion. I have no connection to the
company other than being a very satisfied customer.
--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|bct|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com