[comp.unix.sysv386] Secondary Adaptec SCSI controller on ISC v2.2

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (06/10/91)

I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.

After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.

I originally thought it might have been the way the card was set up, but I
verified that it was at the standard defaults by the manual, as well as
examining /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen and
/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen.

My system configuration is: (after stripping out any unnecessary components..)

	AMI 80386/25MHz no cache, or FPU
	8mb Memory
	Adaptec ESDI Floppy/Hard Controller
	Western Digitial Paradise VGA Card
	Two 338mb CDC ESDI drives setup as type 47 (User defined type) with
		1222 cyls, 15hds, 36 sec/trk
	and of course,
	an Adaptec 1540B SCSI controller with an archive viper 150s attached
		internally at ID 6.

Trying the obvious with the SCSI tape drive, i.e. setting the ID at 0,3, or 6,
and trying it external showed no effect.

From a previous posting to this group, I think I remember reading that you
cannot leave the BIOS disabled for the SCSI card to work (JP6, jumper 1), so
this jumper is in place.

In addition, when booting, after the machine's diagnostic as installed both
C and D drives to the internal HDs, the Adaptec banner screen comes up with
C: and D: already installed, not installing SCSI BIOS or something similar.

Does this all mean that you can have a SCSI controller as a secondary controller
but only if you have but one standard AT drive installed?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.....

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>
>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>
>I originally thought it might have been the way the card was set up, but I
>verified that it was at the standard defaults by the manual, as well as
>examining /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen and
>/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen.
>
>My system configuration is: (after stripping out any unnecessary components..)
>
>	AMI 80386/25MHz no cache, or FPU
>	8mb Memory
>	Adaptec ESDI Floppy/Hard Controller
>	Western Digitial Paradise VGA Card
>	Two 338mb CDC ESDI drives setup as type 47 (User defined type) with
>		1222 cyls, 15hds, 36 sec/trk
>	and of course,
>	an Adaptec 1540B SCSI controller with an archive viper 150s attached
>		internally at ID 6.
>
>Trying the obvious with the SCSI tape drive, i.e. setting the ID at 0,3, or 6,
>and trying it external showed no effect.
>
>From a previous posting to this group, I think I remember reading that you
>cannot leave the BIOS disabled for the SCSI card to work (JP6, jumper 1), so
>this jumper is in place.
>
>In addition, when booting, after the machine's diagnostic as installed both
>C and D drives to the internal HDs, the Adaptec banner screen comes up with
>C: and D: already installed, not installing SCSI BIOS or something similar.
>
>Does this all mean that you can have a SCSI controller as a secondary controller
>but only if you have but one standard AT drive installed?

I attempted to set up some development systems with ISC 2.2.  I was going to
use an ST506 controller for the root drive, and an Adaptec 1540A for extra
storage and a tape drive.  I could not get this to work with even one ST506
drive installed.  Either the ISC kernel wants to boot from the SCSI if it
is installed or there is some strange contention between the drivers.

Eventually, after a lot of experimenting, I tossed the ST506 controller, and
used the SCSI as the primary controller.  I was going to call ISC, but I
never got around to it.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

rpg@rcc.de (Ralf Gans) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>
>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.

The AHA1540B Bios supports a single location for I/O, i.e. 330H.
To use a second Controler, you have to get a changed BIOS from
Adaptec (or from your dealer).
Than you have to activate bouth cards with Bios on differend addresses.
(SORRY, BUT THIS IS NOT TESTED!)

BUT:
Why do you need a second controler, you have only THREE devices?
In my opinion, you simly have to get a new cable.(?)

I hope this could help.
CU
Ralf

--

      Ralf P. Gans 	 		Voice:	+49 2101 44 05-82
 roka Computer Consult GmbH    		Fax:	+49 2102 44 05-66

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (06/20/91)

In <1991Jun19.091956.7012@rcc.de> rpg@rcc.de (Ralf Gans) writes:

>In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>>
>>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>>
>The AHA1540B Bios supports a single location for I/O, i.e. 330H.
>To use a second Controler, you have to get a changed BIOS from
>Adaptec (or from your dealer).
>Than you have to activate bouth cards with Bios on differend addresses.
>(SORRY, BUT THIS IS NOT TESTED!)
Bzzt - sorry, you lose. This is quite wrong under UNIX and possibly even under
DOS. UNIX doesn't need the BIOS activated on a secondary controller, and I'm
pretty certain you can only have one BIOS active anyway. The reason Adaptec
make BIOS chips available for other locations is if you cannot use 330 due
to a clash. UNIX *does* need the setup for the controller to agree with the
appropriate kernel config file. In ISC 2.0.2, the High Performance Disk Driver
hardwires settings in the space.c files for each controller. If you look
at /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen, you'll see all the available settings
for HD controllers (similarly for tape). A primary controller is at
I/O 330, DMA 5, IRQ 11 and the minor device numbers start at 0. If this is
a secondary controller, the minor map starts at 64. Thus to add a tape, you
need to run kconfig, configure a secondary SCSI controller and say there is
a tape, then run
mknod /dev/scsitape c 41 72 (72 is 8 for rewind + 64)
mknod /dev/scsitapen c 41 64 (non-rewinding).
>BUT:
>Why do you need a second controler, you have only THREE devices?
>In my opinion, you simly have to get a new cable.(?)
The above is written assuming the primary controller is an ESDI or IDE. If
the primary controller is a SCSI controller, then there is indeed no point
in adding another controller.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

marty@hbiso.ma02.bull.com (Marty Strakhovsky ) (06/23/91)

In <9106121244.40@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>>
>>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>>
>>I originally thought it might have been the way the card was set up, but I
>>verified that it was at the standard defaults by the manual, as well as
>>examining /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen and
>>/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen.

There is a problem with the software when configuring an adaptec as a
second controller. The default dma for the controller is 5 but in
/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen it is hard coded as 6 for a second
controller. (look for ifdef AS1 or AS2) Either change the controllers
jumpers or the file. If you change the software, reconfigure the HPDD with
kconfig and double check that space.c in /etc/conf/pack.d/aha1540 has the
right dma specified (after reconfiguring).

J. Martin Strakhovsky                |	The views expressed are my own etc.
Bull HN Information Systems          |  508-294-5060
Technology Park                      |  marty@hbiso.ma02.bull.com
Billerica MA 01821                   |  uunet!hbiso!marty