[comp.unix.sysv386] DELLs R4

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (06/18/91)

I called DELL this morning to find out if they support the Archive VP150
150/250 meg tape drive (non-SCSI version).

The fellow I spoke with had never heard of it and didn't seem awfully
interested in finding out.  Does anyone on the net know?

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter                UUCP:  ...!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.       INTERNET: frank@mindlink.bc.ca (prefered)
Surrey, British Columbia             frank@rsoft.bc.ca

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (06/19/91)

> davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp writes:
>
> Don't know if they support the Archive but they do sell a Wangtek
> 150/250 meg tape drive as I have one on my Dell 333D. Ran fine under
> DOS and now user ISC 2.2.1.

Two different people from Dell have been in touch with me - one to say that it
will work and one wanting to know who it was that wouldn't tell me in the first
place.  If their response to queries by existing customers is as good then I'm
getting more interested all the time.

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter                UUCP:  ...!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.       INTERNET: frank@mindlink.bc.ca (prefered)
Surrey, British Columbia             frank@rsoft.bc.ca

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (06/19/91)

> Frank@mindlink.bc.ca writes:
>
> Two different people from Dell have been in touch with me - one to say that
> it
> will work and one wanting to know who it was that wouldn't tell me in the
> first
> place.  If their response to queries by existing customers is as good then
> I'm
> getting more interested all the time.

Now I've gotten a phone call as well...ALRIGHT I'M CONVINCED!

Apparently customer service is more than a slogan at Dell.

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter                UUCP:  ...!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.       INTERNET: frank@mindlink.bc.ca (prefered)
Surrey, British Columbia             frank@rsoft.bc.ca

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (06/19/91)

> Frank@mindlink.bc.ca writes:
>
> Two different people from Dell have been in touch with me - one to say that
> it
> will work and one wanting to know who it was that wouldn't tell me in the
> first
> place.  If their response to queries by existing customers is as good then
> I'm
> getting more interested all the time.

I've had yet another phone call - this time telling me that the Archive tape
drive is definitely NOT supported by Dell R4.  It will work for the
installation of R3, but not R4.

I asked if there were any plans to add such support and the fellow I was
speaking with (Ray) explained that Dell is not primarily a unix house and does
not have much of a margin on their unix packages.  They sell their unix as a
way to better sell and support their hardware.  "We can't make any money fixing
other people's hardware compatibility problems" he told me.

(Folks at Dell please feel free to correct me if I've misrepresented anything)

This leaves me a little unsure about the advisability of putting Dell unix on
non-Dell hardware.  On the one hand reviews seem pretty good and Dell seems
very helpful - and on the other hand they are very frank about wanting to sell
Dell Unix for Dell hardware.

davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp (Dave McLane) (06/20/91)

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:

> I called DELL this morning to find out if they support the Archive VP150
> 150/250 meg tape drive (non-SCSI version).
>
> The fellow I spoke with had never heard of it and didn't seem awfully
> interested in finding out.  Does anyone on the net know?

Don't know if they support the Archive but they do sell a Wangtek
150/250 meg tape drive as I have one on my Dell 333D. Ran fine under
DOS and now user ISC 2.2.1.

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp@kyoto-u.ac.jp>

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (06/20/91)

>I called DELL this morning to find out if they support the Archive VP150
>150/250 meg tape drive (non-SCSI version).

I own a Archive VP 2150s (SCSI version). This one work great together with
Dells R4. If you do a 'strings unix' (or strings /etc/conf/pack.d/st00/*.o)
you can see what SCSI devices are supported directly. But wether the
NON-SCSI version will work, no idea.

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
"If all else fails, read the intructions ..."

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/22/91)

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) writes:

>This leaves me a little unsure about the advisability of putting Dell unix on
>non-Dell hardware.  On the one hand reviews seem pretty good and Dell seems
>very helpful - and on the other hand they are very frank about wanting to sell
>Dell Unix for Dell hardware.

As most of the net knows, we are running Dell SVR4 here on non Dell
hardware without problems.

We are quite satifisfied with Dell UNIX

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.183354.2390@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>As most of the net knows, we are running Dell SVR4 here on non Dell
>hardware without problems.

Larry, is that the Soyo board you used to run ISC on, or is it a different
machine?

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us     ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill
OR ..!uunet!world!unixland!bill     heiser@world.std.com

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/23/91)

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) writes:

>Larry, is that the Soyo board you used to run ISC on, or is it a different
>machine?

No, we were running ISC on a SOYO motherboard - but since upgraded to
faster motherboards (the SOYO was a 386/25)