[comp.unix.sysv386] Anyone using ESIX V.4?d

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/19/91)

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <7934@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>>But Dell also comes with DOS Merge - does ESIX (for 995/1295) price?
>>
>>OK, ESIX folks, can you answer this one:  will a DOS emulator (a la
>>DOS Merge or ISC VP/ix) *ever* be available for ESIX?  This may be one
>>of the sticking points here, because a number of people want to run
>>DOS software at our site.{
>>

>They're available now.  VP/ix from ISC works on ESIX.  AT&T Simultask
>works on ESIX.

But not ESIX R4 (or so I'm told).  The reason being is that ESIX is based on
SysV/386 R4.0.3.  All of the other vendors are based on R4.0 or R4.0.1.
DOS/Merge only works with those prior versions.  As for VP/ix.  I don't know.
Supposedly ESIX is working with Locus to get DOS/Merge 386 running under their
Unix R4.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

pozar@kumr.lns.com (Tim Pozar) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.131606.3764@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>They're available now.  VP/ix from ISC works on ESIX.  AT&T Simultask
>>works on ESIX.
>
>But not ESIX R4 (or so I'm told).  The reason being is that ESIX is based on
>SysV/386 R4.0.3.  All of the other vendors are based on R4.0 or R4.0.1.
>DOS/Merge only works with those prior versions.  As for VP/ix.  I don't know.
>Supposedly ESIX is working with Locus to get DOS/Merge 386 running under their
>Unix R4.

   I am running ESIX's SYSV r4.0.3 with VPIX.  No problems yet...
Haven't tried the mouse yet...

        Tim

--
       pozar@lns.com  Fido: 1:125/555  PaBell: 415-788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.131606.3764@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>>OK, ESIX folks, can you answer this one:  will a DOS emulator (a la
>>>DOS Merge or ISC VP/ix) *ever* be available for ESIX?  This may be one
>>>of the sticking points here, because a number of people want to run
>>>DOS software at our site.{
>>>

>>They're available now.  VP/ix from ISC works on ESIX.  AT&T Simultask
>>works on ESIX.
>
>But not ESIX R4 (or so I'm told).  The reason being is that ESIX is based on
>SysV/386 R4.0.3.  All of the other vendors are based on R4.0 or R4.0.1.
>DOS/Merge only works with those prior versions.  As for VP/ix.  I don't know.
>Supposedly ESIX is working with Locus to get DOS/Merge 386 running under their
>Unix R4.

Yes, Esix is working with vendors (Locus) to get DOS/Merge 386 running
under Esix, and yes, it is because Esix is 4.0.3 that DOS/Merge doesn't
currently work under Esix.  I don't believe that VP/ix runs on anyone's
4.0 yet, but don't quote me on that one.  Esix is also working with
Locus to possibly bundle DOS/Merge in their release, as soon as it works.

(I currently run Esix 3.2 rev d with VP/ix and it works fine.  I guess
I'll lose vp/ix when I go to 4.0 - moral - stick with 3.2 for now if you
need DOS emulation)

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service, Santa Barbara
(805) 683-3760		authorized esix resellers

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (06/22/91)

In article <25565@well.sf.ca.us> nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:
>Yes, Esix is working with vendors (Locus) to get DOS/Merge 386 running
>under Esix, and yes, it is because Esix is 4.0.3 that DOS/Merge doesn't
>currently work under Esix.  I don't believe that VP/ix runs on anyone's
>4.0 yet, but don't quote me on that one.  Esix is also working with
>Locus to possibly bundle DOS/Merge in their release, as soon as it works.

What do you mean by "bundled".  As near as I can tell, ESIX sells the most
"unbundled" version of SVr4 around.  I don't believe any of the other
vendors, for example, split off the graphics into extra cost Graphics I and
Graphics II packages.  I think maybe ESIX might be looking to add Locus'
Merge to their price list as yet another additional extra cost option, no?

-scott

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/22/91)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:

>(I currently run Esix 3.2 rev d with VP/ix and it works fine.  I guess
>I'll lose vp/ix when I go to 4.0 - moral - stick with 3.2 for now if you
>need DOS emulation)

You can on the otherhand go with DOS Merge with SVR4 without any
problems (works fine here with Dell SVR4)..

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

gar@spiff.UUCP (Gordon Runkle) (06/24/91)

In article <25565@well.sf.ca.us> nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) writes:
   Yes, Esix is working with vendors (Locus) to get DOS/Merge 386 running
   under Esix, and yes, it is because Esix is 4.0.3 that DOS/Merge doesn't
   currently work under Esix.  I don't believe that VP/ix runs on anyone's
   4.0 yet, but don't quote me on that one.  Esix is also working with
   Locus to possibly bundle DOS/Merge in their release, as soon as it works.

I'm running Interactive VP/ix 1.01.01 under UHC SVR4.0.2 without
difficulty.  Don't know about mice or windows - don't hold with 'em.

--
-=gordon=-
--

   A government that is big enough to give you all you want
	is big enough to take it all away.