[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC X11

wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) (06/19/91)

	Is there any way to run clients on the 386 && have them
use my Sun as the display?

	Frankly, it seems that all ISC X11 will talk to is another
386 and only then if it's running certain hardware.  Can I do this
with another X11 package ?  I mean, the _whole_ _point_ is portability,
right?

	Sign me
					disappointed with ISC,

							the wharf rat

ps - I contacted ISC about the
csh (nfs_read: etc.) problem.
They've never heard of it... :-)

wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) (06/19/91)

	I posted a question about using ISC X11.  I'm getting lots of
"I do it all the time" ' s.  Maybe my question wasn't clear, because *I*
don't see how it's possible at all :-)

	I am working on a Sun.  I want to rlogin to a 386 and run, say,
xsol.  When I open my window && get logged in, if DISPLAY is set to
unix:0 I this:

XIO:  fatal IO error 77 on X server "??": Not a data message
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

      If I set display to "rambler:0" - rambler is my workstation - I get:

Client is not authorized to connect to Server

     The 386 knows about rambler; rlogin, etc. works just fine.

     I tried playing with the permissions stuff ISC provides via sysadm,
to no avail.  I looked at configuring a new display, also via sysadm, but
they provide a limited and mandatory selection of hardware they will allow
you to configure for, and it's all PC stuff.  My feeling is that what I'm
trying to do, i.e., treat the 386 like it was any other box hanging of my
Ethernet and run x* on it and have it talk to the display on my Sun is
not possible, since it seems to require a different server for each
hardware configuration and Sun is not one of those offered.

	Do y'all _really_ "do it all the time" ??? :-)

							W.rat

martys@mchale.ism.isc.com (Marty Stewart) (06/20/91)

In article <1358@unisql.UUCP> wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:

>ps - I contacted ISC about the
>csh (nfs_read: etc.) problem.
>They've never heard of it... :-)

	Actually, Louis contacted me about the nfs issue.  I asked him to
fax me the problem and I would check to see if it was known.  I haven't
heard of the exact issue he had, but I would check on it.  This doesn't
mean that it was not known; it means that I wasn't familiar with it
personally.
	I have checked on the issue and it is known bug.  The bug numbers
associated with nfs/csh issues are #28075 and #28144.  Thanks for the
reports on this problem.

Marty Stewart
Manager, Customer Support

wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:

>      If I set display to "rambler:0" - rambler is my workstation - I get:

>Client is not authorized to connect to Server

The problem is that the X server on rambler needs to be configured to allow
connections from your 386 host.

>     The 386 knows about rambler; rlogin, etc. works just fine.

Rlogin et. all are different tools from X.  The X server has its own
validation requrements (if it wasn't this way, anybody on any system
could connect to your server and do whatever they wish).

>     I tried playing with the permissions stuff ISC provides via sysadm,
>to no avail.  I looked at configuring a new display, also via sysadm, but

You need to play with the config stuff on rambler, not the ISC box.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) (06/20/91)

In <1991Jun19.223809.10206@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>>     I tried playing with the permissions stuff ISC provides via sysadm,
>>to no avail.  I looked at configuring a new display, also via sysadm, but

>You need to play with the config stuff on rambler, not the ISC box.

Indeed - try looking up xhost.
Hint:
on rambler type
% xhost 386_machine_name
before you rlogin and set your DISPLAY up to rambler:0

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim@dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim

dalego@itx.isc.com (Dale Gogates) (06/20/91)

In article <1364@unisql.UUCP> wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:

>	I posted a question about using ISC X11.  I'm getting lots of
>"I do it all the time" ' s.  Maybe my question wasn't clear, because *I*
>don't see how it's possible at all :-)
>

>	I am working on a Sun.  I want to rlogin to a 386 and run, say,
>xsol.  When I open my window && get logged in, if DISPLAY is set to
>unix:0 I this:
>
>XIO:  fatal IO error 77 on X server "??": Not a data message
>      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
>      If I set display to "rambler:0" - rambler is my workstation - I get:
>
>Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Well that says it all right there.  Time to get the manual out and
read all about the xhosts command.
--
---------------------------------------|-------------------------------------
Dale                                   | standard  disclaimers apply

wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) (06/20/91)

	Ok, Ok, in the (too kind :-) words of someone from ISC (out of
the many someones who responded :-) I was a little confused about who
needed permissions where...  See, I never bothered with xhosts on the
suns, since of course they all *share* that stuff and it works by default.
When I got complaints about permissions on the 386, I fixated on the idea that
the problem was *on* the 386, when of course it was on the sun I was connecting
too (from?).

	Using xhost on the sun made the error go away.

	Thanks very much to everyone who responded.  I *had* RTFM, I just
didn't quite UNDERSTAND TFM...

				"sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
				 other times I can barely see..."

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (06/24/91)

wrat@unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:

>	I posted a question about using ISC X11.  I'm getting lots of
>"I do it all the time" ' s.  Maybe my question wasn't clear, because *I*
>don't see how it's possible at all :-)

>	I am working on a Sun.  I want to rlogin to a 386 and run, say,
>xsol.  When I open my window && get logged in, if DISPLAY is set to
>unix:0 I this:

>XIO:  fatal IO error 77 on X server "??": Not a data message
>      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

>      If I set display to "rambler:0" - rambler is my workstation - I get:

>Client is not authorized to connect to Server

>     The 386 knows about rambler; rlogin, etc. works just fine.

Maybe this is a dumb followup response, but .....

try using:

$ xhost +

to allow all hosts to connect to your box through X....