[comp.unix.sysv386] Problems with Logitech mouse and X386

ptuomola@clinet.fi (Petri Tuomola) (06/21/91)

I have installed X386 to my system and everything works fine except one
IMPORTANT thing: the mouse doesn't work. The mouse pointer moves randomly
when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't move at all. Pressing buttons
have no effect.

My system's configuration is

386/33 w/cache
ET4000 SuperVGA
Logitech Serial mouse

I have set the mouse correctly to /usr/lib/X11/X386/Xconfig ("Logitech
/dev/tty00") and the X386 doesn't give any errors. I have tried the mouse
both with and without the FAS serial IO-driver (2.08.00). My operating
system is ISC 2.0.2.

Any help about this problem is very welcome. The X386 is great software,
and I would like to use it.

Petri Tuomola  OH2LJY | InterNet: ptuomola@clinet.fi or ptuomola@unidex.pp.fi
Ylipalontie 10AC      | FidoNet : Petri Tuomola@2:220/63
00670 Helsinki 	      | UUCP    : ...!mcsun!fuug!clinet!ptuomola

djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) (06/22/91)

You might be using a Logitech mouse that emulates a Microsoft mouse.
I had a similar problem (random motion) with a Logitech mouse and
WordPerfect 5.1 under DOS; telling it I had a Microsoft mouse fixed
the problem.  I haven't tried compiling X386 yet, though.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@eng.umd.edu> <djm@ai.mit.edu>

micha@dolbyco (michael zuelsdorff) (06/26/91)

ptuomola@clinet.fi (Petri Tuomola) writes:

>I have installed X386 to my system and everything works fine except one
>IMPORTANT thing: the mouse doesn't work. The mouse pointer moves randomly
>when I move the mouse and sometimes it doesn't move at all. Pressing buttons
>have no effect.

>My system's configuration is

>386/33 w/cache
>ET4000 SuperVGA
>Logitech Serial mouse

>I have set the mouse correctly to /usr/lib/X11/X386/Xconfig ("Logitech
>/dev/tty00") and the X386 doesn't give any errors. I have tried the mouse
>both with and without the FAS serial IO-driver (2.08.00). My operating
>system is ISC 2.0.2.

hi,
my system is SCO-Unix, and maybe the device name differs, but try an entry
like : Logitech 3 1200 ms "/dev/tty2a". (Logitech 3-button mouse, connected
to serial port 2 with 1200 baud and ms protocol).

micha

/~~~~~~~~~/		      Rockinger 		   Voice: 0511-8091223
 )  [=II=========\\	    Guitars GmbH
/....../          	  Hannover, Germany      Rockn' Roll is bio-degradable