[comp.unix.sysv386] DOS FS inode table overflow under ISC 2.2.1

deano@areyes.com (Dean Carpenter) (06/30/91)

I'm running ISC Unix 3.2 (2.2.1) on a 486 eisa box, WD1007 esdi with a
Maxtor XT760 drive.  When I installed the system, I booted DOS 3.3 first
and used that to create a 32 meg partition for DOS, and installed DOS in
that partition.  Then I installed unix normally, and all seems well.  Almost.

I mount the DOS filesystem as /cee from /dev/dsk/0p1.

I've noticed that while using vpix sometimes the console will get lots of
messages about the DOS filesystem inode table.  Specifically :

	DOS FS inode table overflow

What's causing this ?  I haven't tracked down the villainous DOS program(s)
yet, but I'm working at it.  Also, a couple of times while in vpix, all of
a sudden the drive light goes on for some time as it writes a system memory
image out to the swap device, all 16 meg of it.  Everything is locked up
while this happens, then the next key press *reboots* the system, just like
a power-down.  It goes through the post and everything.  Could this be
related in any way ?

--
Dean Carpenter		uunet!areyes!deano		(203) 531-5007
Areyes, Inc.		deano@areyes.com

"No matter where you go, there you are"  sayeth Buckaroo 								 across the Eighth Dimension

deano@areyes.com (Dean Carpenter) writes:

>I've noticed that while using vpix sometimes the console will get lots of
>messages about the DOS filesystem inode table.  Specifically :

>	DOS FS inode table overflow

Read the FAQ posting for this group.  If you don't have one sitting around,
let me know & I will send it to you.

>yet, but I'm working at it.  Also, a couple of times while in vpix, all of
>a sudden the drive light goes on for some time as it writes a system memory
>image out to the swap device, all 16 meg of it.  Everything is locked up
>while this happens, then the next key press *reboots* the system, just like
>a power-down.  It goes through the post and everything.  Could this be
>related in any way ?

I would *guess* that they are un-related.  What is happening is that your
system is panicing and dumping core.  You could examine the core image
using crash(8) or install the kernel debugger and use it to figure out
what is going on (i.e. what is causing the panic).

--
I guess these are the views of VTI - since it is my consulting company.

Conor P. Cahill              (703)430-9247              uunet!virtech!cpcahil
Virtual Technologies, Inc.  46030 Manekin Plaza            Sterling, VA 22170