[comp.unix.msdos] Should I get Coherent?

pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) (09/09/90)

I've been following this group for some time now and I'm still
undecided about getting the new Coherent operating system from MWC.
I'm working on a limited budget and I already have Minix 1.2 --- which
unfortunately would not recognize my old hard-disk and now (with my
new hard-disk) will not even boot.  This experience has --- suffice it
to say --- jaundiced my view of minimalist Unix-based operating
systems. (But, Minix DOES have LOTS of network support.)  Now, is
Coherent worth the effort?  Does it work well on 286 machines?  Does
it work reliably with odd configurations?  Does one need to be a super
guru to make it go?  *** CAN ONE RUN DOS APPLICATIONS AS TASKS UNDER
IT? ***

In short, is it worth the time and expense?

Thanks

+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
Peter Olsen, P.E.             | ``Engineering is the art of using
pcolsen@super.super.org       |   mathematics and the physical sciences
uunet!super!pcolsen           |   to improve the quality of life.''

wengland@stephsf.stephsf.com (Bill England) (09/12/90)

In article <32961@super.ORG> pcolsen@super.ORG (Peter C Olsen) writes:

>systems. (But, Minix DOES have LOTS of network support.)  Now, is
>Coherent worth the effort?  Does it work well on 286 machines?  Does
>it work reliably with odd configurations?  Does one need to be a super
>guru to make it go?  *** CAN ONE RUN DOS APPLICATIONS AS TASKS UNDER
>IT? ***

  The general consensus seems to be that it's not worth the effort. I
  sent the publishers e-mail asking questions, like does it support
  streams (required for tcp/ip and X), is it sysV compatable?, etc.
  and have not recieved *any* reply.  I would recommend that you ask
  these questions of the publisher yourself and then weigh their
  response (or lack thereof).

  The publisher is:

      Mark Williams Company,
      60 Revere Drive